Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dmac

Alive Check

Recommended Posts

I don't do anything with the website any more but don't wish to take it down or anything, so it will remain online for the foreseeable future.

As for the forums, I've thought about turning them offline as it's clear to see there is barely any activity whatsoever these days. In fact I think aside from GTAForums, pretty much every fansite forum is dead now. Everyone moved to social media. But as with the website, I will probably leave them open for the time being, if any members want to reconnect with one another then they can do so.

Out of curiosity, what brought you back here Dmac?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me check.. can confirm, am alive.

 

Also, I'm not Dmac but now that I'm here... I think of this place from time to time, I saw your account on Twitter again and decided to drop by to see what was what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 2:26 PM, Huckleberry Pie said:

I'm here, if that's what you're looking for. You still in touch with the others?

No , unfortunately. How about yourself?

On 5/4/2018 at 7:39 AM, Chris said:

I don't do anything with the website any more but don't wish to take it down or anything, so it will remain online for the foreseeable future.

As for the forums, I've thought about turning them offline as it's clear to see there is barely any activity whatsoever these days. In fact I think aside from GTAForums, pretty much every fansite forum is dead now. Everyone moved to social media. But as with the website, I will probably leave them open for the time being, if any members want to reconnect with one another then they can do so.

Out of curiosity, what brought you back here Dmac?

Although dead, the I find the forums fun to look back on. I'm sure I'm not the only one who comes back for a little hit of nostalgia!  And that's exactly why I came back. I also wanted to see what everyone else is up to these days.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:33 AM, Spider-Vice said:

Let me check.. can confirm, am alive.

 

Also, I'm not Dmac but now that I'm here... I think of this place from time to time, I saw your account on Twitter again and decided to drop by to see what was what.

Glad to see you're still alive! I think of TGTAP sometimes, too. A lot of us basically grew up here. Fun times indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I guess even if just one person likes to come back to the forums from time to time it's reason enough to leave them online for now. :)

I suspect at some point we'll disable new registrations, maybe even disable posting. But I'll always try to keep an archive of the forums here so all the old topics and posts won't be lost.

While I've said in the past I'd try to keep TGTAP online for as long as I'm alive, I have occasionally wondered about the long term future, like really long term, and not just about this website but any in a similar position. I mean, can you imagine coming back here in another 10 years? 20 years? What about 50 years? Some of us probably won't even be alive at that point. The internet could and probably will look very different then. Interest in GTA could be dead too and at some point it may not be worth keeping the website online any more.

A number of huge GTA fansites have already closed for good in the past couple of years, GTAGaming and GTAWarehouse are two big names no longer operating. GTAGaming was arguably the next biggest site after GTANet, so if they had to shutdown already the future doesn't look too bright for the rest of. I don't think TGTAP will be the next one though, but sadly it's not a favourable trend we're seeing with videogame fansites these days.

P.S. if anyone is reading this in the future and needs to contact me for any reason and is unable to do so here, I'm not particularly difficult to find elsewhere on the Internet. I don't publicly give out my email address but my personal website (https://chrisphillips.uk/) links to places where I can be found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2018 at 8:51 PM, Chris said:

Well I guess even if just one person likes to come back to the forums from time to time it's reason enough to leave them online for now. :)

I suspect at some point we'll disable new registrations, maybe even disable posting. But I'll always try to keep an archive of the forums here so all the old topics and posts won't be lost.

While I've said in the past I'd try to keep TGTAP online for as long as I'm alive, I have occasionally wondered about the long term future, like really long term, and not just about this website but any in a similar position. I mean, can you imagine coming back here in another 10 years? 20 years? What about 50 years? Some of us probably won't even be alive at that point. The internet could and probably will look very different then. Interest in GTA could be dead too and at some point it may not be worth keeping the website online any more.

A number of huge GTA fansites have already closed for good in the past couple of years, GTAGaming and GTAWarehouse are two big names no longer operating. GTAGaming was arguably the next biggest site after GTANet, so if they had to shutdown already the future doesn't look too bright for the rest of. I don't think TGTAP will be the next one though, but sadly it's not a favourable trend we're seeing with videogame fansites these days.

P.S. if anyone is reading this in the future and needs to contact me for any reason and is unable to do so here, I'm not particularly difficult to find elsewhere on the Internet. I don't publicly give out my email address but my personal website (https://chrisphillips.uk/) links to places where I can be found.

I've been lurking here on and off for a couple of years now too. Not sure if you even remember me lol...

Shame this whole area seems to be totally clogged with spambot posts nowadays though :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 3:59 PM, GiiBz said:

Shame this whole area seems to be totally clogged with spambot posts nowadays though

That's actually very recent, like the last 2 weeks or so. I don't know... we're on the latest version of IPB, we're using their anti-spam service, but it's useless, the bots still get through. Might disable registrations for a while, seems to be the only way to prevent them getting through.

I had to check your username history and profile but yeah I remember. There are plenty of users I didn't talk to much one to one but at least recognise their usernames if they were frequent posters. I noticed a comment on my profile back in 2010 saying that you had added me on PSN. I rarely play PS3/PS4 these days but curious what your username there is? I'm guessing we never played anything together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chris said:

That's actually very recent, like the last 2 weeks or so. I don't know... we're on the latest version of IPB, we're using their anti-spam service, but it's useless, the bots still get through. Might disable registrations for a while, seems to be the only way to prevent them getting through.

I had to check your username history and profile but yeah I remember. There are plenty of users I didn't talk to much one to one but at least recognise their usernames if they were frequent posters. I noticed a comment on my profile back in 2010 saying that you had added me on PSN. I rarely play PS3/PS4 these days but curious what your username there is? I'm guessing we never played anything together?

Yeah, seemed to have really blown up over the weekend =/

I don't really play on my PS3/4 these days, moved over to Steam now and play mainly on PC. My Steam user is 'Giibz' (screen name PzKfw Tiger I)

Think we might have played some GTA 4/5 online way back in the day? Unless I'm getting confused with another Chris on my list lol.

I was amazed to see Kokane was still coming on here too, another name from the old days! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×