The War On Copyright

Deji

One of the main issues of today is Copyright. I used to live with someone who was against the laws so I got the other side of the story. In his mind everything should be free and require donations or people should get to listen free before they buy an album. I personally think this is just a cheap excuse to download things free.

I don't think the laws should or ever will be changed. If you look through the eyes of an artist then you would want all the laws to remain the same. Take being a Rapper for exanple. You'd want people to buy your music as it was worked on hard. But you wouldn't want your inome powered by donations. Not everyone in the world is that honest and the world is quite selfish. Plus isn't Itunes a good enough listening for free tool?

Copyright is earned free upon simply creating w/e it was you created. If you picked a bogy then that's copyrighted by you in some weird way :lol:. If you made a song then YOU own that song and own all copyright.

Oppinions? Try not to break the Warez rules here... Don't name anything specific.

Edited by Deji

Downloading a couple of songs isn't that bad, but when you download a full discography of an artist, then it's bad.

I've seen this logic before and it's bullshit. You download one thing and it's just as "bad" as downloading everything. Because if you download small amounts, bit by bit, it's the same as downloading an assload all at once.

As for doing it in general, it really depends on the situation. The ONLY place I will buy music from is Amazon MP3 because their policies-unlike the rest of online music stores-aren't bullshit. Amazon's songs are the same price as iTunes' "standard" songs yet the ones at Amazon are encoded at a higher bitrate for better sound and, more importantly, are DRM-free. That's the perfect situation. Cheap, DRM-free music. I'll buy that. However, if a song isn't available there then there's of course other ways to get it. ;)

Free downloads can help an artist's reputation. I like artists that perform out of passion than for the almighty dollar. Besides, no way in hell I'm paying money for a song I'm gonna tired of halfway through the thing.

Very nice said, especially artists starting, havng their material free is a big boost on getting more people to be assed to listen to them.

I believe that downloading free movies, tv programs etc is okay, because people do pay to see them in the cinema as well in better quality. I download movies now and again when I see a decent one come up. Also, applications can be downloaded via internet. I've heard now that even Windows Vista can be downloaded for free (hope saying that isn't a bannable offence lol). Downloading songs can seriously boost the artists reputation which is great.

Downloading software and movies isn't right, that's just plain stealing. Downloading music just gets you a taste of the artist before you buy their albums.

Sure downloading software is stealing, But i wouldent say if you did it you are a ''Theif''. Although, You kind of are one but its just not the same as stealing something like a Bike.

I also always wondered (Heh, Randon thought), If downloading pirated Software is a Sin for religous people as it is classified as Stealing.

Someone who steals things = Theif.

If i knew someone (A friend) that say, Stole a car or a Purse i would think of them different.

But someone downloading a Application or a Movies? I wouldent think of them any differently to what i do now. Sure, There totally different things but it still falls under stealing. Just the way i see it.

Edited by Dmac_91

Someone who steals things = Theif.

If i knew someone (A friend) that say, Stole a car or a Purse i would think of them different.

But someone downloading a Application or a Movies? I wouldent think of them any differently to what i do now. Sure, There totally different things but it still falls under stealing. Just the way i see it.

That's society for you, that's the kind of world we've come to live in. Even though the basic principles are the same, the scenario is different. Weird, isn't it?