3-D glasses feature on PS3

GTAsoldier

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/943/943740p1.html

CES 2009 is currently underway in Las Vegas, and while there are tons of home audio systems, DVD and Blu-ray players, touchscreen phones and other miscellaneous cool gadgets to be seen and played with, perhaps the biggest theme this year is 3D. Long gone are the days of the blue and red paper glasses, replaced with polarized lenses or even standalone displays that promise they can provide the effect without having to wear anything on your head.

Are they serious? 3D glasses as a new gimmick for the PS4? Now I may be a Sony fan (have a PS3 and loving it, but not in the extreme fanboi sense like what most of you would think) but this is just dumb (IMO). I'm not a fan of 3D films and such (never really liked 3D glasses). If I wanted realistic graphics, I'd stick with 1080p HD. It's pretty awkward for me to handle this.

Your thoughts on the next PlayStation gimmick?

EDIT: Oops. Wrong forum. Please move.

Edited by GTAsoldier

I don't know, but it'd be pretty cool to see 3-D in video games, and it's just unique and whatever. Although, in the article/video it says it's just a prototype, it seems awesome to me and I'd be eager to try it out myself. Like said, it's just a new feature like the Wii remote.

And I think they're just displaying the technology of the 3-D, not actually making the PS4, but it has only been 2-3 years since the PS3, when it's been 6-7 years after the PS2 that the PS3 was released.

Sony supposedly have a 10 year plan for PS3, so if anything happens from this, which tbh is pretty unlikely, it'll be at least 7 years away. I won't be holding my breath, however. To add to this, I don't know anyone who would wear 3D glasses while playing games, it just feels too fake and gimmicky. It is only a prototype as well, so it could just fizzle out into nothing. I have no doubts it would be amazing to look at though, didn't they test it on GT5 Prologue? They couldn't have picked a better game if they did.

No one read the article? They were talking about the possible applications in the PS3, nothing about the PS4.

And from the description, it does sound like it would be interesting. Well, taking into consideration the public and how people will take it, there had better be a way to not need to have it in 3D.

If Sony were to do this then they'd have to perfect it. It can’t be some half assed piece of shit. 3-D would be an amazing thing to have in video games, but it has to be actually good for me to even consider getting it. If they start off with small things such as shrapnel getting blown past you and then eventually moving up to crazier things such as enemies trying to attack you or throwing things at you, but there are certain games that won't really work with 3-D.

I can't really imagine what they could do with a racing game unless some car were to start flipping and you manage try drive under...but other than that...it'd be pretty retarded for racing games.

Sport games might work well, but I guess that would really depend on which sport.

Action and shooting games would probably work best with 3-D.

No one read the article? They were talking about the possible applications in the PS3, nothing about the PS4.

And from the description, it does sound like it would be interesting. Well, taking into consideration the public and how people will take it, there had better be a way to not need to have it in 3D.

They were talking about PS4 just as much as PS3, further down the article, even though it was just speculation. Also, off-topic:

developers are thinking about including smells in future games, here's a link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7716971.stm Just imagine that with 3D gaming, you'd be utterly immersed.

They were talking about PS4 just as much as PS3, further down the article, even though it was just speculation. Also, off-topic:

developers are thinking about including smells in future games, here's a link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7716971.stm Just imagine that with 3D gaming, you'd be utterly immersed.

I don't really see the point in including smells in a video game. It would probably require us to refill something every so often.

I don't want to derail the topic, but I agree. It just reminds me of those awful scratch and sniff things from the 90's. More specifically, the closest smell and videogames came together was for FIFA 2001 on PS1 - a scratch and sniff disc, 'smell the pitch!', disgusting.

If Sony were to do this then they'd have to perfect it. It can’t be some half assed piece of shit. 3-D would be an amazing thing to have in video games, but it has to be actually good for me to even consider getting it. If they start off with small things such as shrapnel getting blown past you and then eventually moving up to crazier things such as enemies trying to attack you or throwing things at you, but there are certain games that won't really work with 3-D.

I can't really imagine what they could do with a racing game unless some car were to start flipping and you manage try drive under...but other than that...it'd be pretty retarded for racing games.

Sport games might work well, but I guess that would really depend on which sport.

Action and shooting games would probably work best with 3-D.

It was mentioned that MotorStorm looked amazing in 3d, that the HUD sort of floated infront of the screen, and you could actually see your car going through bushes and the such. And yes, debris flying was mentioned.

Oh, yeah, I got side-tracked on the other article actually talking about the 3d.

It was mentioned that MotorStorm looked amazing in 3d, that the HUD sort of floated infront of the screen, and you could actually see your car going through bushes and the such. And yes, debris flying was mentioned.

So older games would work with this? As you could probably tell...I didn't read the article. :P

Having the HUD float in front of the screen wouldn't really be that great. It would look cool and be somewhat amusing at first, but it'd get pretty boring after a while. Although, it already looks boring...so why not. The other stuff seems cool though.

He's right, I read the same article a while back. They think they might be bringing it to the PS3 this year.

This would be great if you didn't have to wear the glasses, just imagine in a COD game the bullets flying out at you.

There is no god-damn way someone will buy that shit. C'mon who in the hell plays video games while wearing glasses (other than Boner Jones/GTAMissions/BullyMissions)? I sure dont. I love sony. I have been playing there systems ever since GTA 3 came out. But smelly games is realy shitty, and rips the fuck off scratch and sniff. Why cant sony make SOMETHING USEFULL like the fucking Wirless VIBRATING Saxis Controller like the XBOX has. Bullshit. Sony is realy making retarted creations ,pisses me off.

Edited by Husky

There is no god-damn way someone will buy that shit. C'mon who in the hell plays video games while wearing glasses (other than Boner Jones/GTAMissions/BullyMissions)? I sure dont. I love sony. I have been playing there systems ever since GTA 3 came out. But smelly games is realy shitty, and rips the fuck off scratch and sniff. Why cant sony make SOMETHING USEFULL like the fucking Wirless VIBRATING Saxis Controller like the XBOX has. Bullshit. Sony is realy making retarted creations ,pisses me off.

Bold: Uhh...they do sell one. In fact I own one.

So older games would work with this? As you could probably tell...I didn't read the article. :P

Having the HUD float in front of the screen wouldn't really be that great. It would look cool and be somewhat amusing at first, but it'd get pretty boring after a while. Although, it already looks boring...so why not. The other stuff seems cool though.

Well, it's just adding a little dimension to the image.

Actually, none of those two technologies are made by Sony, I don't think.

Bold: Uhh...they do sell one. In fact I own one.

That you mean? They dont vibrate. The thing on the GTA4 box said they should be vibrating. But they are not.

The SIXAXIS doesn't support vibration. The DS3 does though.

...the DS3 has SIXAXIS though. Or you could say the SIXAXIS controller has vibration, but the original controller that came with the PS3 or still comes with the PS3 does not have vibration.

EDIT: Wait...wtf...3-D!!!

Does anyone know if this is gonna be like the same kind of 3-D as that new horror movie coming out?

Edited by Harwood Butcher

The SIXAXIS doesn't support vibration. The DS3 does though.

...the DS3 has SIXAXIS though. Or you could say the SIXAXIS controller has vibration, but the original controller that came with the PS3 or still comes with the PS3 does not have vibration.

EDIT: Wait...wtf...3-D!!!

Does anyone know if this is gonna be like the same kind of 3-D as that new horror movie coming out?

Yeah thats bull.