Do you like text language?

Ciaran

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate it. In texts, in IMs, in forums, anywhere. SPELL OUT WORDS. Things like that become habits, and habits do carry over. Just don't ever let yourself get into the habit. Text messages are stupid anyways. I type out full words, use punctuation, spacing, capitals, etc. in my texts. AND I still do it fast. What now, bitch?

No, he's spaz ...

Anyway, on message boards I type to the best of my ability; meaning I use good spelling, grammar and punctuation. I can type 85wpm, so it's not quicker either way, beucase I can type faster than I can think. And everyone can understand what I'm saying.

Talk to me on the instant message, same thing.

I don't have anything against that language, I have it against people who use it when they're not supposed to. Especially on forums, where anyone can read your post and is supposed to understand it.

However, I sometimes use it in chat. Since it's done in "real time", it's usually helpful to write as fast as possible. Still, I don't prefer it over the classical way of typing, people need to understand what I'm saying.

It really annoys me on MSN when people start using "u" and abbreviations like that. Yeah I use btw wtf omfg fyi ftw cba imo afaik iirc and all those kinda things, but not like "hi hu r u cs i dno hu u r". Okay perhaps in texting I cba capitalising and going the whole hog with evey single word, but I use accepted abbreviations rather than shortening three-letter words. I mean come on, thats just lazy.

Spaz is absolutely right - it becomes a habit, although it happened the other way round for me. When I became a mod here Chris encouraged me to not bother using stupid text language and typing out in full. That is a habit that has carried over to everything else too.

I can interpret it, but it annoys me when people are lazy.

Spaz is absolutely right - it becomes a habit, although it happened the other way round for me. When I became a mod here Chris encouraged me to not bother using stupid text language and typing out in full. That is a habit that has carried over to everything else too.

Same here. I started typing better on message boards. My grammar, spelling, typing, etc. all greatly improved AFTER joining message boards. It became a habit and I type like this on IM, email, even TEXTING I type EXACTLY LIKE THIS.

There was someone in my year who wrote their gcse english language mock essay in text language. That is appalling and spaz is write about text language. I try hard to write as properly as I can, I never say "ain't" so I will never type silly abbreviations just to be lazy. Some text words are no shorter than the proper english words.

There was someone in my year who wrote their gcse english language mock essay in text language. That is appalling and spaz is write about text language. I try hard to write as properly as I can, I never say "ain't" so I will never type silly abbreviations just to be lazy. Some text words are no shorter than the proper english words.

What grade did he get? :whistle:

That is absolutely retarded. BTW, "right". "Write" is what you do to a paper :bleh:

I friggin' hate text language. I can't understand 60% of it and what the hell's the problem with typing 1 extra letter to spell it correctly. Lazy jackass who invented it should take grammer classes; all the way from pre-school to his third senior year at a university.

That's what gets me. When people have to type "wut", "wot", "wat", "wht", etc. instead of "what"..... I HATE "wot" the most of all of those. I always pronounce it as it looks when reading it. Then to me that person looks EVEN dumber for some reason.

He got a U which is the worst you can get. Thats stands for Ungraded if you didnt know.

I would've laughed my ass off at him. Then, made fun of him. Ripped him apart. Then laughed some more.

Same here. I started typing better on message boards. My grammar, spelling, typing, etc. all greatly improved AFTER joining message boards. It became a habit and I type like this on IM, email, even TEXTING I type EXACTLY LIKE THIS.

Yeah, me too, joining here was like a free typing lesson.

I sometimes use acronyms like LOL on IM...and sometimes on forums. BUT, I never post with just ROFL or something, it always has to be accompanied with good, full text.

But on games like Counter-Strike, BF2, that's almost all I see. But you don't really need it when you use Ventrilo.

I hate it. In texts, in IMs, in forums, anywhere. SPELL OUT WORDS. Things like that become habits, and habits do carry over. Just don't ever let yourself get into the habit. Text messages are stupid anyways. I type out full words, use punctuation, spacing, capitals, etc. in my texts. AND I still do it fast. What now, bitch?

I don't hate it but when I played Second Life I got the habit of spelling like this:wht r u tlkin bout?Wht;dunno......And a bunch of other stuff that I forgot because when I came to this site my first few posts sucked ass with spelling and stuff but it took a couple of weeks for me to be used to spelling words out and using good punctuation and capitals and stuff.But I guess i'm better now.