Bad things about violent games

Red_91

'Violent Video Games Harm The Brain' Sunday December 3, 10:43 AM

Violent video games are harming the brains of young teenagers, scientists have found. The effects include increased activity in the part that governs emotional arousal.

This is accompamied by a fall in activity in the region associated with control, focus and concentration.

The research was carried out by a team at the University School of Medicine in Indanapolis.

Team leader Professor Vincent Mathews said: "Playing a certain type of violent video game may have different short-term

effects than playing a non-violent, but exciting, game."

His study involved 44 adolescents who played a violent or non-violent video game for 30 minutes.

They then performed a series of tasks measuring inhibition, concentration, and emotional responses.

The group that played the violent game showed a loss of concentration and self control, coupled with increased emotion.

Further research is planned looking at the long-term effects of violent video games on the players.

I found this on yahoo i just wanted to know what people think on this

Edited by ps3 player

This is dumb. The games aren't made for "young teenagers", they're made for 18 and over, this is why there are age limits. Those youths are either incredibly weak and/or retarded if they can't control themselves after only playing for 30 minutes. Because they're underage this study is completely flawed and nonsensical.

Yeah, it's not the manufacturers (developer) fault. It's the players! Those 'scientists' gotta start reading the books! Anyway, the only bad thing I get from violent games is bad words (swearing) and gangsta-rap interest (which I don't think damages my brain). I'm fine, most of us are fine.

This is dumb. The games aren't made for "young teenagers", they're made for 18 and over, this is why there are age limits. Those youths are either incredibly weak and/or retarded if they can't control themselves after only playing for 30 minutes. Because they're underage this study is completely flawed and nonsensical.

True but I and millions of others can hadle this which I think you know.

People that can't "take on" these types of videogames have so much deeper problems if they wanna be stupid after playing a videogame. And parents, if your kid is retarded and lieks to copycat everythnig, don't go let him play GTA! Yes, people may loose some concentration but IMO that doesn't make them go on a killing rampage with guns and cars. And for they peopel that have actually done that were:

a.) Retarded.

b.) 10 or younger.

edit:Yeah, I would probably do what Tec 9 does. It makes sence IMO wich makes us look like the "nad kids" which is stupid. Normal does not mean bad.

Edited by Nate10

I've never understood the big deal about it. As already said, these type of games are essentially designed for adults, so kids uder the age limit set shouldn't be playing the AT ALL!!!!!

I do know alot of kids that play video games and it doen't affect the way they think. I don't know any kids that have played video games and then gone out and chopped someone's head off.

This is accompamied by a fall in activity in the region associated with control, focus and concentration.

This has no point at all. I've been playing violent games since I was 6 and I've never had any of these probs. Infact, I'm much better when it comes to focus and control than most of people I know. I agree with tec9, games are here to relieve stress. It's relaxing to come home and blow up a few brains in Doom3 or, well, even play SA.

videogames don't kill, mental retardation kills. Its not like a videogame hypnotizes you and you instantly start running over everyone you see. If you're mature enough to handle it, then you should be able to play it. I've been into GTA since I was what, 11? Even when I was 11, I didn't have the urge to start shooting everyone with a machine gun.

Hey, stupid scientest guys, omg, Mario influences children to eat wild mushrooms! Hurry, sue mario before another kid gets killed from a poisionous mushroom!

videogames don't kill, mental retardation kills. Its not like a videogame hypnotizes you and you instantly start running over everyone you see. If you're mature enough to handle it, then you should be able to play it. I've been into GTA since I was what, 11? Even when I was 11, I didn't have the urge to start shooting everyone with a machine gun.

Hey, stupid scientest guys, omg, Mario influences children to eat wild mushrooms! Hurry, sue mario before another kid gets killed from a poisionous mushroom!

Exactly.

I played GTA when I was 13 and never once got the urge to kill someone.

I do sometimes picture myself as apart of the Leone Crime family and driving around in a Sentinel. lol

I think this is a load of crap. They act like 44 teenagers are the whole world. I've played GTA since I was 9 years old and I never felt like killing of slicing someone's head off with a Katana. It's like most people think most kids later in their life will just go on a random killing spree killing innocent people. These people overreact too much.

• 1 month later...
I've never understood the big deal about it. As already said, these type of games are essentially designed for adults, so kids uder the age limit set shouldn't be playing the AT ALL!!!!!

I do know alot of kids that play video games and it doen't affect the way they think. I don't know any kids that have played video games and then gone out and chopped someone's head off.

I'm not an adult and I've played violent video games and it didn't affect the way I think. Then again, I'm pretty mature when it comes to understanding that you are not supposed to go out on the street in real life and kill people for money. :P

• 5 months later...