U.S. military unveils ray gun

rav0001

They would need to test that there is not long term effects. They say that a 2 second beam is able to make them pull away reflexly, what would happen if someone held it there for say 10 seconds. What kind of affects would there be?

Either way it seems to be a good method of non-violent resolution, if it works.

So now you can't die for the cause, you just burn and run away. I think this is evil, what if someone getting burned can't run away, because he's hurt or something?

I hope this weapon doesn't actually get used. If it does I would hate the US army.

I think they would only shoot a short (1-2 second) burst. Enough to just basically knock the wind out of the guy. If you were feeling on fire you'd probably stop fighting so it would probably only be to make them surrender or stop attacking etc.

From that range though could be nasty. Whats the kind of implications of being able to attack from a point which they can't see and have no idea whats happening.

I'm going to tell you that the stuff for the press isn't true. Imo they will use it to disable the enemies for a few seonds and then attack them while they can't fight back. You really think that the US army of today wants to use the non-violent access? Nope ^_^

Well if they do that then, they can go get f***ed, it sould be used to just make peace not killing

This is where the American tax dollars go? Yeah, AOL and something else told me about this thing. That money should have gone to more useful things, like bullets that go through walls and monicles that can pinpoint your enemies. (I should stop playing GRAW, shouldn't I? :rolleyes:)

EDIT: Although, I wouldn't mind using this thing on my neighbors.....

Edited by TEC 9

Psh, to go along with what Slayer said.. you think they'd hold it on these guys for JUST 2 seconds? HAHA! Yeah, right. If you'd been fighting in a war... and your friends have died, would you "properly" use your non-lethal weapon? Probably not.

Sounds pretty cool though. I wanna use it on my whole county. And hold it there. For an hour.

Armies like non-letal weapons for quite a few reasons. One reason is if someone isn't killed, it is going to take more people to take care of that person; if you shoot and kill one person the other side only loses one person. If you wound someone, it's going to take two or three people to doctor that person up.

Well i think its a good idea coz it wont hurt people, 54oC isnt that hot, sometimes in the Aussie outback gets that hot and nothing happens so yeah.....

No, it will hurt people. The water under their skin reaches 54C, we're not talking about the weather here.

So now you can't die for the cause, you just burn and run away. I think this is evil, what if someone getting burned can't run away, because he's hurt or something?

I hope this weapon doesn't actually get used. If it does I would hate the US army.

You'd rather them kill people than disable them for a few seconds?

Well i think its a good idea coz it wont hurt people, 54oC isnt that hot, sometimes in the Aussie outback gets that hot and nothing happens so yeah.....

No, it will hurt people. The water under their skin reaches 54C, we're not talking about the weather here.

Yes, it will hurt people. THAT'S THE POINT OF WEAPONS..... It isn't KILLING them, though. Are you saying if I walk up and break someone's leg so they don't attack me, that it's more evil than if I just went ahead and stabbed a knife into their head? Okay.... Yeah.... You are thinking logically, aren't ya? [/sarcasm]

I'd love to have a hold of this thing. Watching people fall to the floor thinking they are on fire would be hilarious. Then, you yell something along the lines of, "HA! n00b! You aren't on fire! Get up! Wimp....... " :lolbounce:

You'd rather them kill people than disable them for a few seconds?

Yes, it will hurt people. THAT'S THE POINT OF WEAPONS..... It isn't KILLING them, though. Are you saying if I walk up and break someone's leg so they don't attack me, that it's more evil than if I just went ahead and stabbed a knife into their head? Okay.... Yeah.... You are thinking logically, aren't ya? [/sarcasm]

I'd love to have a hold of this thing. Watching people fall to the floor thinking they are on fire would be hilarious. Then, you yell something along the lines of, "HA! n00b! You aren't on fire! Get up! Wimp....... " :lolbounce:

hahaha you are a funny funny evil person spaz but yes that would definetly be hilarious but it i think we should just get the war over and done or deplot all the troops from iraq for a month or so and see what happens if it get's worse then go back in but if not stay out!!

I say use it on the insurgents and buy them drinks afterwards. Then hand over that ray gun over to me so I can deal with my dumbass neighbors.

Sorry Tec, but i think everyone is going a little off-topic, that inculing me, so back on topic..........

A heat way weapons can only cause mild-harm, but idiots can get ahold of this and turn it up to more the 54oC, and that would hurt

It's just about hurting and torturing someone, that's bad. Exept if you want info ofcourse. But what if you got the wrong one. He'l be traumatised all his life. Think it's something bad, but inginious nonetheless

That's a good point, what if someone gets traumatised for life? And what if that ray hits a kid or such? Is it really worth it?

And yeah, there will always be someone who will use anything for a bad purpose. It's juts the way it is. So the less we know, the safer we are.

Look, as much as they say they'll only use this thing for two seconds just to make combatants drop their weapons, we know soldiers will use this thing until insurgents pass out or something worse. That's the problem with non-lethal weapons. They aren't actually non-lethal, especially because nobody uses them the way you're supposed to. Police are supposed to shoot rubber bullets at the ground so they'll ricochet and hit the suspect. In reality, they'll just aim at the suspect because it's more effective. Years ago, a student was killed when riot control fired tear gas into a crowd and the canister hit her in the head.