Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

Getting back on topic (thanks raybob for filling up this thread with useless crap again).

I have doubts about that a 3870 with 512MB VRAM could play on max settings either. The texture setting itself on max would take that whole 512MB VRAM leaving no room for the other stuff. So I think you would card with at least 1GB of ram and somewhere around 800 Stream processors to actually play this g game on real max settings.

Maby this one would be a better choice.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=3669

I wasn't saying that a 3870 with 512mb VRAM would be able to max GTA IV, I was simply suggesting a cheap alternative that would run the game well. I have a 3850 and that runs the game absolutely fine on medium to high settings, and as medium settings in GTA IV are about the equivalent of max settings on most games, that's more than enough.

Will my PC run the game with these settings and hardware at a minimum of 20fps consistently without me shutting down every other background process? How will it look compared to my PS3 Console version at 1080i on a 61" TV?

Settings:

Video Mode: 1920x1200 (60 Hz) 24 bit Color

Texture Quality: Highest

Render Quality: Highest

Shadow quality: medium

Water quality: high

Reflection quality: low

View Distance: 60

Detail Distance: 75

Vehicle Density: 85

Shadow Density: 8

Resolution: 800x600

Texture quality: Medium

Render quality: medium

Shadow quality: low

Water quality: low

View distance: 40

Detail distance: 50

Vehicle Density: 30

Shadow Density: 2

System Information uploaded in Word 2003 Format:

NEW_PC_BUILD.doc

Edited by raybob95

Getting back on topic (thanks raybob for filling up this thread with useless crap again).
I have doubts about that a 3870 with 512MB VRAM could play on max settings either. The texture setting itself on max would take that whole 512MB VRAM leaving no room for the other stuff. So I think you would card with at least 1GB of ram and somewhere around 800 Stream processors to actually play this g game on real max settings.

Maby this one would be a better choice.

I wasn't saying that a 3870 with 512mb VRAM would be able to max GTA IV, I was simply suggesting a cheap alternative that would run the game well. I have a 3850 and that runs the game absolutely fine on medium to high settings, and as medium settings in GTA IV are about the equivalent of max settings on most games, that's more than enough.

What resolution is your monitor? On my HD 3450, putting 1440 x 900 (My native monitor resolution) on low settings brings the game to 5 FPS. But on 800 x 600 I get a good playable frame rate with medium settings.

What resolution is your monitor? On my HD 3450, putting 1440 x 900 (My native monitor resolution) on low settings brings the game to 5 FPS. But on 800 x 600 I get a good playable frame rate with medium settings.

My monitor is 20" and runs at 1600x1200

My specs are as follows:

Vista 32 SP1

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3.1GHz

3GB RAM

ATi 3850 512mb

This is how I have the settings in GTA IV:

Resolution: 1600x1200

Render quality: Highest

Shadow quality: High

Water quality: High

Reflection quality: High

View distance: 24

Detail distance: 100

Vehicle Density: 40

Shadow Density: 0

Note: this is just from memory, but I'm pretty sure this is how my settings look. According to FRAPS, I consistently get 20fps, with the occasional slight drop during intense gameplay. The game is extremely playable and looks great. My rig also plays my other games (Test Drive Unlimited, GTR2, Live for Speed, rFactor, Richard Burns Rally, GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas) all at max settings usually getting 30-60fps.

The reason you're getting such crappy frames is purely because of your graphics card. A 3450 isn't anywhere near as good as a 3850.

My monitor is 20" and runs at 1600x1200

My specs are as follows:

Vista 32 SP1

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3.1GHz

3GB RAM

ATi 3850 512mb

This is how I have the settings in GTA IV:

Resolution: 1600x1200

Render quality: Highest

Shadow quality: High

Water quality: High

Reflection quality: High

View distance: 24

Detail distance: 100

Vehicle Density: 40

Shadow Density: 0

Note: this is just from memory, but I'm pretty sure this is how my settings look. According to FRAPS, I consistently get 20fps, with the occasional slight drop during intense gameplay. The game is extremely playable and looks great. My rig also plays my other games (Test Drive Unlimited, GTR2, Live for Speed, rFactor, Richard Burns Rally, GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas) all at max settings usually getting 30-60fps.

The reason you're getting such crappy frames is purely because of your graphics card. A 3450 isn't anywhere near as good as a 3850.

Mine something like

Resolution: 800x600

Render quality: medium

Shadow quality: low

Water quality: low

View distance: 40

Detail distance: 50

Vehicle Density: 30

Shadow Density: 2

I'm getting like 20 FPS (according to my Fraps), which enough to see fluid movement. Well you just convinced me, I think might consider the 3850, its only around $100 USD.

maby buy 2 and put them CrossFirex. That would 640 Stream processors for only $200 :coolthumbup:

This is model I'm looking at.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...D&body=MAIN

Edited by Sabin

Go for this:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...42&csid=_21

It's only $7 more expensive.

Good observation that site has alot of stuff. I would not of noticed. I'm going to order 2 of these. I'll put them in crossfire and post a benchmark video.

oh look what I found. HD 4670 1GB DDR3 For the same price! :D

Edit: crap but that is only memory interface 128-bit and does not come with Crossfire bridge connector. I think I'll stick with the one you linked.

Edited by Sabin

Processor: Intel Core Duo 1.8ghz

Graphics: Intel GMA950 256mb (Yes, I'm on a laptop :( )

RAM: 4GB

While you have more than enough RAM and your processor is (just) good enough, there is no way that you will ever get the game running on integrated Intel graphics, sorry.

Since it's a laptop, I'm not sure if you can replace the graphics card or not, someone else will have to confirm this.

I thought that would be the case :( And I don't think you can replace it, I'm fairly sure it's built right in with the motherboard, & I don't really wan't to replace that as I'm getting a new computer soon anyway.

Laptops are not good for high end graphics games like GTA IV. The video cards that can fit into the Mini PCI slots on there can't really pack a punch you know what I mean, since there so small. I dont even where you can buy a video cards for laptops. If you can at all.

Edited by Sabin

Good observation that site has alot of stuff. I would not of noticed. I'm going to order 2 of these. I'll put them in crossfire and post a benchmark video.

oh look what I found. HD 4670 1GB DDR3 For the same price! :D

Edit: crap but that is only memory interface 128-bit and does not come with Crossfire bridge connector. I think I'll stick with the one you linked.

Good choice, the 4670 isn't as good as the 3870 (the second number is more important than the first number).

I wish graphics cards were that cheap over here in England. One of those would cost £120 over here. I know the exchange rate isn't that good any more, but still...

Well, everybody here will be pleased to know that I have listened to their advice, searched for a better GPU, and I found this one, which seems to be an amazing deal, which I will therefore get. You will all be very surprised to know that it's an ATI.

Perhaps it'll run IV with everything on MAX..... (Or near MAX @ 1920x1200)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102813

Edited by raybob95

Well I'll be getting a new laptop soon, should run GTA: IV full settings no problem, but thought I'd check here first. Here's the specs:

Alienware m15x

CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8100 2.1GHz (3MB Cache 800MHz FSB)

GPU: 256MB NVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT

HDD: 160GB 7200 RPM SATA

Disk Drive: 8x Dual Layer Writer

Sound Card: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz)

Wireless Card: Internal Intel® Wireless 4965 a/b/g/Draft-N Mini-Card

RAM: 1GB (Will upgrade, but not alienware ram, it's friggin expensive!)

Price: £960

I'm willing to fork out a bit extra for 512MB NVidia® GeForce® 8700M GT or 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 is the GPU isn't enough.

Edited by Spookeh

Well I'll be getting a new laptop soon, should run GTA: IV full settings no problem, but thought I'd check here first. Here's the specs:

Alienware m15x

I'm willing to fork out a bit extra for 512MB NVidia® GeForce® 8700M GT or 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 is the GPU isn't enough.

Not on full settings. Low at best.

Alienware m15x

256MB is not enough. The Textures on medium settings takes like 300MB of Video ram itself. Try for the 512MB

Edited by Sabin

Can my pc run GTA IV on highest setings or at least on high settings?

Proccesor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core 5000 2.5 Ghz

Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI

Graphic Card: ASUS HD3450 256MB

Memory: 2048MB DDR2 800MHz

Harddrive: 320GB SATA

Everything is not bad, but your video card is going to let you down. You wont beable to play GTA 4 with that video card properly or at all.

Get a HD 3870 512MB or higher.

Everything is not bad, but your video card is going to let you down. You wont beable to play GTA 4 with that video card properly or at all.

Lets say I have 512 MB will it work on highest settings?

No, you would need at least a 3850 or 3870 for it to play at medium settings. Even then, you should think about buying another GB of RAM.

You do not need the game on the highest settings. Medium settings on GTA IV are the equivalent of max settings on most other new games. The highest settings are for future technology.

No I have a HD 3450 512MB and can only play on 800 x 600, well check the last page back. I say somewhere. It will work though. But if you want high settings get a HD 3870 or higher.

Btw why is your name quoting as ICECOLDNIG?

Edited by Sabin

Another possible new computer is this:

Intel® Core™ i7 920 Quad Core Processor (2.66GHz,8MB Cache,4.8GT/s)

6GB 1333MHz Triple Channel DDR3 SDRAM - ( 3x2GB )

2x 1GB ATi 4670 Graphics accelerator (CrossFire for Ultimate Gaming)

Samsung 22x Dual Layer DVD Writer

Other GPU options are:

1GB ATI HD4670 Graphics accelerator

1GB NVIDIA GeForce with CUDA 9600GT

1GB NVIDIA GeForce with CUDA GTX280

Or at the very edge of my budget, 2GB ATi Radeon HD4870X2

Edited by Spookeh