Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

Hi, my wife is on her way home with my copy of gtaiv, but after reading this thread I am worried I might not be able to run the game.

AMD 4400+ X2

2 gigs RAM

7800gtx 512

Raptor HD

Mostly I am worried about the video card, since it is a 7 series, will the game even be allowed to load? I have no doubt the card can handle the game, albeit at lower settings. I run Crysis at mostly high settings at a good framerate.

Once I open the box I'm stuck with the game and can't exchange it, so if it won't even load I don't want to bother.

Thanks

I'm afraid it will run quite badly on your system. Both your CPU and GPU should be upgraded to play the game.

Hi, my wife is on her way home with my copy of gtaiv, but after reading this thread I am worried I might not be able to run the game.

AMD 4400+ X2

2 gigs RAM

7800gtx 512

Raptor HD

Mostly I am worried about the video card, since it is a 7 series, will the game even be allowed to load? I have no doubt the card can handle the game, albeit at lower settings. I run Crysis at mostly high settings at a good framerate.

Once I open the box I'm stuck with the game and can't exchange it, so if it won't even load I don't want to bother.

Thanks

I'm afraid it will run quite badly on your system. Both your CPU and GPU should be upgraded to play the game.

I would test it first. The 7800GTX 512 is better than the 7900GT, and it may not be as bad as you think. The game isn't as CPU intensive as people will have you believe either. I had the game running on an AMD X2 3800+ 2.1GHz processor for a while and it wasn't too bad. If the game doesn't run very well I would advise you to buy a new graphics card rather than a new processor. An ATi 3850 or NVIDIA 8600 will do nicely.

Thank you for the replies. I went ahead and installed and played for about 6 hours with these settings.

1024x768

Texture Quality-Medium

Render Quality-High

View Distance-50

Detail Distance-50

Vehicle Density-50

Shadow Density-8

Resource Usage 458/493

During sunny daytime FRAPS shows my FPS anywhere from 15-30, nightime in the rain only 12-18. I didn't do anything except install the game, patch, and forceware 181.22, so I think there is some tweaking that can be done to squeeze out a few more fps.

Overall I am pretty happy, I built this pc christmas of '05. Hopefully the game doesn't get too much more resource hungry as the game progresses.

I hope someone with a system similar to mine will find this info useful. Again with my comps stats:

AMD 4400+ X2

Geforce 7800gtx 512

2 gig RAM

Windows XP SP3

Edited by stealth15psi

Thank you for the replies. I went ahead and installed and played for about 6 hours with these settings.

1024x768

Texture Quality-Medium

Render Quality-High

View Distance-50

Detail Distance-50

Vehicle Density-50

Shadow Density-8

Resource Usage 458/493

During sunny daytime FRAPS shows my FPS anywhere from 15-30, nightime in the rain only 12-18. I didn't do anything except install the game, patch, and forceware 181.22, so I think there is some tweaking that can be done to squeeze out a few more fps.

Overall I am pretty happy, I built this pc christmas of '05. Hopefully the game doesn't get too much more resource hungry as the game progresses.

I hope someone with a system similar to mine will find this info useful. Again with my comps stats:

AMD 4400+ X2

Geforce 7800gtx 512

2 gig RAM

Windows XP SP3

Reduce the View Distance to about 20-25, and the shadow density to 0. These settings really slow the game down. Reducing the settings to that will be about equivalent to the console versions of the game. The shadows look horrible anyway as they're very pixellated. You can increase the render quality and detail distance to max, as these don't slow the game down a lot. The vehicle density is up to you, but 50 is quite high.

If your motherboard supports it, then I would advise you to get another GB of RAM as this will increase your performance a lot for a small price. You could also try closing some background apps and using AMD dual core optimizer.

Please let me know if these work...In my opinion there's no reason why they shouldn't

Athlon X2 64 5000+(2.6 ghz)

Vista SP1

3 gb ram

Geforce 9800 GT 512 mb

running latest Nvidia drivers,defrag once a week and my .NET framework was just updated today

let me know what you think and thanks in advance

Yeah, you'll be fine with that.

• 2 weeks later...

I got new laptop some days ago, since my desktop is broken.

This laptop is more powerful than my desktop anyway, so I ask if I can play GTA 4 with atleast 20-25FPS.

Laptop:Fujitsu Siemens Amilo PA 3515

Processor:AMD Athlon X2 QL-62 2.0ghz

Memory:4GB DDR2 RAM

Video Card:Ati Mobility Radeon HD 3200, Shaders 4, with 64MB it's own memory and 1.5GB from RAM memory, so it leaves me 3GB RAM.

Display:15,4"

I don't plan on playing with best settings, I am fine with low resolution(Like 800x600) and lowest settings.

Sys Req Labs said it is good expect for processor, but that site reads numbers anyway.

Edited by DeAtH

I got new laptop some days ago, since my desktop is broken.

This laptop is more powerful than my desktop anyway, so I ask if I can play GTA 4 with atleast 20-25FPS.

Laptop:Fujitsu Siemens Amilo PA 3515

Processor:AMD Athlon X2 QL-62 2.0ghz

Memory:4GB DDR2 RAM

Video Card:Ati Mobility Radeon HD 3200, Shaders 4, with 64MB it's own memory and 1.5GB from RAM memory, so it leaves me 3GB RAM.

Display:15,4"

I don't plan on playing with best settings, I am fine with low resolution(Like 800x600) and lowest settings.

Sys Req Labs said it is good expect for processor, but that site reads numbers anyway.

No, not with that graphics card and processor.

When I get my new PC, I'll be playing at 1920x1200 with every setting on MAX :thumbsup:

Just kidding, don't think even my new PC would be able to do that.

Still plan on 1920x1200 though. (Maybe)

New PC:

OC'd Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (OC'd to 3.2GHz (2.83 Stock), ~1500 MHz FSB, 12MB L2 Cache, Quad Core) with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink

8GB SDRAM OC'd to 1200MHz, 4 DIMMS (1066 Stock)

1GB Gigabyte GeForce 9800GT 256-bit Memory Bandwidth, Factory OC'd to 700 CPU MHz (600 Stock)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard

OCZ 700W PSU

Vista 64-bit

SAMSUNG SATA 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM 1TB HDD

SAMSUNG 2433BW 24" WideScreen LCD Monitor

Also, can somebody give me a list of all the resolutions GTAIV gives you the option of?

Edited by raybob95

Hi. Can my PC run GTA IV?

Specs.

Intel core 2 duo 2.80ghz

2gb ram 800mhz

8500 gt 512mb(stock)

Windows XP SP2 (planning on hacking the edit registry of the os if my pc can run this game)

Hope someone can tell me..

It may be able to run GTA IV on low settings, but you need to upgrade to SP3 first before you can continue...

Hi. Can my pc run GTA iv?

Specs.

Intel core 2 duo 2.80ghz

2gb ram 800mhz

8500 gt 512mb(stock)

windows xp sp2 (planning on hacking the edit registry of the os if my pc can run this game)

Hope someone can tell me..

yeah it should be alright although that 8500gt will hold you back.

like huck said, you gotta upgrade to SP3, or yes you can registry hack it. i think people have got it working.

When I get my new PC, I'll be playing at 1920x1200 with every setting on MAX :thumbsup:

Just kidding, don't think even my new PC would be able to do that.

Still plan on 1920x1200 though. (Maybe)

New PC:

OC'd Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (OC'd to 3.2GHz (2.83 Stock), ~1500 MHz FSB, 12MB L2 Cache, Quad Core) with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink

8GB SDRAM OC'd to 1200MHz, 4 DIMMS (1066 Stock)

1GB Gigabyte GeForce 9800GT 256-bit Memory Bandwidth, Factory OC'd to 700 CPU MHz (600 Stock)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard

OCZ 700W PSU

Vista 64-bit

SAMSUNG SATA 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM 1TB HDD

SAMSUNG 2433BW 24" WideScreen LCD Monitor

Also, can somebody give me a list of all the resolutions GTAIV gives you the option of?

It should run on most 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions. If you're wondering, it will work on 1920x1200, but don't expect max settings with a 9800GT.

Can i run

Specs.

XP pro SP3

1.5GB RAM

256MB Graphic Card ATI Radeon xpress 200

Pentium-D 2.8Ghz

Hmmm.....

You will need to close down every other background process possible first.....

If it does work, you will need to put every setting on minimum, and you'll still experience pretty slow frame rates.

Minimum System Requirements

• OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
  • Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB Free Hard Drive Space
  • Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Technically, you might pass, but the CPU is a Pentium, (albeit the best one @ 2.8GHz), but still not good. The GPU will also need an upgrade to make the game a least slightly playable. I would recommend an NVIDIA 8800GT or an ATI 3850. For the CPU, go for a Core 2 Duo E6850. I would also recommend at least 2GB RAM.

Overall, I'd say no to that system.

Edited by raybob95

Just out of curiosity, how many weeks would it take to load 1 frame on my PC if I bypassed all the restrictions? (With every setting on MAX)

RAM: 512MB DDR1 @ 200MHz

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 1.8GHz, 200MHz, 512k Cache, Single Core

GPU: 64MB OnBoard UniChromeII VGA/S3G Graphics

MOBO: Gigabyte K8M800-8237

My RAM is OC to 222MHz, CPU to 2.0GHz and FSB to 222MHz.

:awesome:

Edited by raybob95

Technically, you might pass

Not with that graphics card he won't. It's not supported and it's very poor anyway.

Just out of curiosity, how many weeks would it take to load 1 frame on my PC if I bypassed all the restrictions? (With every setting on MAX)
Assuming that the game ran (which it wouldn't) you would still be waiting for the first frame to load by the time GTA 5 comes out.