Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

Here's my spec. When I run the game I get the DD3D50 error, is there any chance I can upgrade a certain part to get it working.

I assume its my graphics card letting everything down, but the processor is pretty old and (obviously) not dual core.

Intel Pentium4 - 3.4ghz

2gb DDR ram

ATI x800xt

Windows XP SP3

Cheers.

About the graphics card, that makes sense.

But will the P4 stop me from playing this game? Or do you mean it will just be slow?

One shred of hope is that the P4 does have hyper-threading, which makes it appear as two processors to the computer. Since its an optimised for dual core game, does this help at all?

I'm not really bothered about settings. Just wondering if I can buy a newer (Shader 3) graphics card in the meantime before I get a new pc.

Edited by DG55

About the graphics card, that makes sense.

But will the P4 stop me from playing this game? Or do you mean it will just be slow?

One shred of hope is that the P4 does have hyper-threading, which makes it appear as two processors to the computer. Since its an optimised for dual core game, does this help at all?

I'm not really bothered about settings. Just wondering if I can buy a newer (Shader 3) graphics card in the meantime before I get a new pc.

Pentiums aren't great, even as dual core, but people have had the game running on them, so it is just the graphics card which is stopping you from playing. If you get a new graphics card with 512mb video memory and another GB of RAM (check that your motherboard supports more than 2GB) then you should be able to play the game reasonably well.

can GTA IV run on highest settings on this computer?:Proccesor: AMD Ultra game PC Phenom Quad Core 2.3Ghz 9650

graphic card: Gigabyte ATI HD3870 512MB DDR3

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-QS

memory: 800Mhz DDR2 2048MB

harddrive: SATA 500GB

Because of Rockstar's 'future proofing' unfortunately even those with the very highest spec PCs won't be able to play on the highest settings. You will be able to play at medium settings (with some things, such as render quality, texture quality and detail distance on high or max settings) which is about the equivalent of max settings on other games.

Rockstar didn't include antialiasing and things still tend to pop up in front of you no matter what settings you choose though, so don't expect it to look the greatest.

I bought GTA iv for pc for me last December, i was all excited to play it but as soon as i got home and installed it , which took me about half an hour, i realized my system didn't match the min. requirements a. I have single core which really sucks and my graphics isn't good i only have 1 gig of ram. It was very disappointing but the requirements were on the back of the game all i needed to do was read it. :pissedred:

I was wondering if i should be able to run GTA IV at decent settings without generally lagging hardcore. Even with graphics on lowest i get terrible lag not to mention shit graphics. Specs are as follows:

Microsoft Windows XP-SP3

NVIDIA GeForce 380MB 8800 GS

Core2Duo E7200 @ 2.53 GHz

2GB RAM

Max Res 1920x1080

appreciate any suggestions on what i should upgrade to be able to play game.

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if i should be able to run GTA IV at decent settings without generally lagging hardcore. Even with graphics on lowest i get terrible lag not to mention shit graphics. Specs are as follows:

Microsoft Windows XP-SP3

NVIDIA GeForce 380MB 8800 GS

Core2Duo E7200 @ 2.53 GHz

2GB RAM

Max Res 1920x1080

appreciate any suggestions on what i should upgrade to be able to play game.

I would try getting another GB of memory (or more if you have XP 64bit). It's pretty cheap and easy to install, just check that your motherboard supports it. Other than that, I'd say that you would want a graphics card with at least 512mb VRAM.

* Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz

* Memory: 4GB, 1TB Free Hard Drive Space

* Video Card: 128MB ATI X1600

I guess my GFX just can't handle it? Or can it :S

You'll definitely need a new graphics card. Also, GTA IV doesn't support Windows 7. Sorry.

Windows 7 uses the drivers from Vista so you shouldn't have any compatibility issues. Davesta's right though, you'll definitely need a new GPU and also a new CPU, GTA IV is very CPU dependent.

I've read that people couldn't get the game to run on Windows 7, but you're probably right.

I had the game running pretty well on a 2GHz AMD X2 a while back, so I think he'd probably get away with that processor if he got a decent graphics card.

Would i be able to run it with these specs?

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_ldr.080917-1612)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion

System Model: GX724AA-ABG a6340a

BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/31/07 10:10:58 Ver: 5.15

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8400 GS

I'm going to say no - you need a new graphics card. An 8600 at least.

Actually the min requirement is GeForce 7900, so the 8400 shouldn't be a problem.

The rest of your system should also be fine.

Actually, if you do some research on Nvidia graphics cards, you'll find that the 7900 is a far better card than the 8400. Nvidia name their cards so that the first number indicates the generation (meaning that the 8400 is newer) and the second number indicates its range (eg 8600 is mid-range, 8800 is top-end, wheras the 8500, 8400, or lower are not designed for gaming). This confuses many people who are new to building PCs and means that companies can get away with selling crappy graphics cards to people without them knowing - hence all the people complaining about crap performance on their PCs.

Actually the min requirement is GeForce 7900, so the 8400 shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, if you do some research on Nvidia graphics cards, you'll find that the 7900 is a far better card than the 8400. Nvidia name their cards so that the first number indicates the generation (meaning that the 8400 is newer) and the second number indicates its range (eg 8600 is mid-range, 8800 is top-end, wheras the 8500, 8400, or lower are not designed for gaming). This confuses many people who are new to building PCs and means that companies can get away with selling crappy graphics cards to people without them knowing - hence all the people complaining about crap performance on their PCs.

Ah yeah, that's interesting. I guess I was one of those people you just described, who assumed it being higher it would be fine. I have a 8600 GT myself so my GTA works great.

Hi, my wife is on her way home with my copy of gtaiv, but after reading this thread I am worried I might not be able to run the game.

AMD 4400+ X2

2 gigs RAM

7800gtx 512

Raptor HD

Mostly I am worried about the video card, since it is a 7 series, will the game even be allowed to load? I have no doubt the card can handle the game, albeit at lower settings. I run Crysis at mostly high settings at a good framerate.

Once I open the box I'm stuck with the game and can't exchange it, so if it won't even load I don't want to bother.

Thanks

Would i be able to run it with these specs?

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_ldr.080917-1612)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion

System Model: GX724AA-ABG a6340a

BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/31/07 10:10:58 Ver: 5.15

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8400 GS

Thanks for the quick reply.

Will the frame rate be around 25-30? if i set everything low or will it still be choppy?

Did you read this?

oh.15-20.

Edited by Steam