Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

Everything on my computer meets/exceeds the requirements.. except the video card, which is a NVIDIA 6150SE. I'm not an expert on computers but I know this is the cause of my game running really slow and pretty much not working. (Besides, the game told me in the Graphics Menu that my resources sucked).

Can anyone suggest a good + cheap video card that will work, even if it means there'll be a few 'low' settings?

Edit: Actually.. In my haste I forgot to note that my processor is AMD Athlon x2 64 2.3 GHz.. not 2.4 GHz like the minimum requirements. Which means two things are wrong.. great.

Edited by ratskcoR

Everything on my computer meets/exceeds the requirements.. except the video card, which is a NVIDIA 6150SE. I'm not an expert on computers but I know this is the cause of my game running really slow and pretty much not working. (Besides, the game told me in the Graphics Menu that my resources sucked).

Can anyone suggest a good + cheap video card that will work, even if it means there'll be a few 'low' settings?

Edit: Actually.. In my haste I forgot to note that my processor is AMD Athlon x2 64 2.3 GHz.. not 2.4 GHz like the minimum requirements. Which means two things are wrong.. great.

If your PC has a PCI-express slot, try installing an Nvidia 8600GT, or an equivalent ATI video card, which you can get for about $150.

If your PC has a PCI-express slot, try installing an Nvidia 8600GT, or an equivalent ATI video card, which you can get for about $150.

Thanks, I'll try to find one. As for the processor, does this mean I'll need a totally new computer altogether? I have no idea.

You don't need to replace your computer if you get a new processor, but I don't think you need one. I was running an AMD x2 2.1GHz a little while ago and it worked fine.

If you go for an ATi card, I'd reccommend an ATi 3850 512mb. Great card, for a really low price.

I'm getting a laptop soon, not for gaming, but just to have one. It is a + if it can run GTA IV though, can it ? specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile

RAM Type: DDR2

RAM (MB): 4 096

RAM Speed (MHz): 800

Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Dedicated videomemory (MB): 512

Shared videomemory (MB): 1 791

So, can I run it ? and if so, on what settings do you reckon ?

Advent 3000 Series

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.53 GHz

NVIDEA Geforce 4 MX420

1 GB RAM

:aweclosed:

Probably need to upgrade everything, might steal a comp from my grandad.

lol whatever your on, you need to up the dosage :P

no way in hell you would ever be able to think about even running the trailer for it haha lol jks.. but yeah geforce 4 mx420, lol. i had that card at one time.

@Brotha

you should be able to run with that.

Edited by WRX22B1998

I wonder if the game will work on my XP computer..

Windows XP SP3

1 GB RAM

Intel Celeron 2.8 GHz

Video card is apparently 'VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP' (the computer was pasted together from different junk), but I don't know if the card HAS to be either NVIDIA or ATI for it to work.

Windows XP SP3

1 GB RAM

Intel Celeron 2.8 GHz

Video card is apparently 'VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP' (the computer was pasted together from different junk), but I don't know if the card HAS to be either NVIDIA or ATI for it to work.

Hmm, no. Celerons suck at gaming, and an integrated graphics solution is more adept at office programs and children's titles like Dora The Explorer but not for GTA IV.

Windows XP SP3

1 GB RAM

Intel Celeron 2.8 GHz

I'll be blunt. Buy a new computer.

You'll want:

Intel Core2 (duo or quad are both fine, as long as it's a decent speed)

At least 2GB RAM, preferably 3, since it's fairly cheap. Make sure you have a motherboard which supports it.

ATI 3850, 3870, 4850, 4870 or NVIDIA 8600, 8800, 9600, 9800, 260 or 280.

Edited by Davesta

Fuck, something just hit me, guys. My Mobo will be SLI, and I've chosen an ATi card...I guess I'm going to have to change to Nvidia. I almost have about 620 dollars which is enough for a computer + monitor. My GPU price range is 280. Should I get a GTX 260 or a 9800GT or something else? I have no idea about Nvidia cards...I guess I better research

Edited by Shortbus

Fuck, something just hit me, guys. My Mobo will be SLI, and I've chosen an ATi card...I guess I'm going to have to change to Nvidia. I almost have about 620 dollars which is enough for a computer + monitor. My GPU price range is 280. Should I get a GTX 260 or a 9800GT or something else? I have no idea about Nvidia cards...I guess I better research

I'll pick the 260 over the 9800, I guess...

What? You only need nVidia cards in that case if you want to actually USE SLI, which many games don't support and doesn't give you a big framerate increase. Plus the fact that if you do it you will need a much more powerful PSU...around 800w is my guess. Of course you can use ATi cards with nVidia chipsets, I'm doing it right now. nForce 570 mobo with 3870 graphics.

But if you want to anyway,

GTX 260 is roughly the same as a 4850

GTX 280 is about the same as a 4870

Anything in the 9-series = shit, don't waste your money.

Is this a good enough computer

1] Area-51® 750i

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 6MB Cache 1333MHz FSB

Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black

Power Supply: Alienware® 750 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Graphics Processor: Single 896MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260

Memory: 4GB« Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 2048MB

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA® nForce 750i SLI Motherboard

Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1

System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 250GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache

Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual-Layer Burner (DVD±RW)

Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio

for $1300+

Is this a good enough computer

1] Area-51® 750i

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 6MB Cache 1333MHz FSB

Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black

Power Supply: Alienware® 750 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Graphics Processor: Single 896MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260

Memory: 4GB« Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 2048MB

Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA® nForce 750i SLI Motherboard

Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1

System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 250GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache

Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual-Layer Burner (DVD±RW)

Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio

for $1300+

It will be able to run GTA IV but I wouldn't buy it, you can just build one on Newegg, seriously AlienWare is incredibly overpriced, they're the Apple of PC vendors.

Will 550W be sufficient to run an HD 4870, 2 120MM fans, and everything else?

Yes, but link to the power supply. You need to make sure it has certain features besides just 550w. I believe it requires 2 12 volt rails on the 18amp line or something, just link it.