Infected

Butters!

Okay, I have a serious Malware problam now, that has esculated from adding unwanted obscene images to my desktop, to deleting my files and making my computer have low performance. I have deleted EVERYTHING that I have installed in the past 24 hours, and have run a Norton Scan. I have been reciving pop ups saying about viruses in my PC, and I have just realised: I Don't even have Windows Defender turned on, So how can it be sending me messages? So a Few questoins:

*removed* Is this official windows site, I think this is a problm

Windows doesnt use the abreviation Attn! in there warning alerts?

If a windows warning pp up apperd, sould it have a red circle with a cross in, because mine just is a black X

Should it be saying. STOP!HALT! MALWARE DETECTED!

How do I get rid of this virus, without doing a full destructive restart?!?!

Dude that link you posted is the virus, lol. It's a virus-anti-virus. Not a real program. I removed the link in case some dickhead here clicks on it.

1. Norton is the real malware as well. Uninstall that shit right away, it doesn't detect shit and the fact you got infected is enough proof. Download a good free AV program, I recommend AVG.

2. Turn off Windows Defender because it doesn't really do much anyway, and it's not a good idea to run multiple programs that do the same task.

3. Install AVG and scan your computer. It should detect all the malware and you can quarantine it.

Post back once you've done that and myself or someone else will tell you what to do next based on your results.

I ran AVG last night, and it found about 2000 tracking cookies, and one Possibly Dangerous Hacking Device, so i removed them all this morning, the Obscene stuff has gone away, but the popups are still coming, trying to get me to click on them. The only problam is that I can't tell the Malware ones from the Windows ones!

its probably hidden somewhere inside your registry.

first boot into safemode (keep pressing f8 at startup and a menu will come up, choose safe mode and press enter)

to find it, open regedit (start > run > regedit) and browse this way

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Run

so hkey_local_machine is the top level, then expand that and find software, expand and find microsoft etc etc.

then look if theres anything sus in there. bsaically trojans will (from my experience) have really weird names...like hhafkngn.exe ... or they could be disguised as a windows file eg svchosts.exe (which should be svchost.exe) so have a good look.

another probably easier way (lol just thought of it), is make sure you have admin privileges, then press start > run. and type msconfig. now you see a system configuration utility. now click the startup tab, and then go look for anything suss there.

make sure you do all that in safe mode (on startup, keep pressing f8 after you turn the power on, then a menu will come up, choose safe mode and press enter)

until you do that, i recomend creating a account with no admin privileges, just limited user or whatever. and use that for your day to day usage, till you go to safemode and do the stuff i wrote above.

good luck :)

oh and get rid of norton, and get AVG from download.com :P

Edited by WRX22B1998

Lol,i would wanna multi-quote all of you,but i didn't.So,I'll explain something.Norton is a piece of shi*.AVG is way better than that,And Kaspersky Internet Security is the best.Oh,and BTW,check the file called csrss.exe.I had a virus from this,but KIS detected it in time and i deleted it.You can see it from the registry,or from Windows Task Manager under Processes.

This thing (csrss.exe) always played a popup or a youtube video.

Edited by σαмε αкα ωεε†

first boot into safemode (keep pressing f8 at startup and a menu will come up, choose safe mode and press enter)

so hkey_local_machine is the top level, then expand that and find software, expand and find microsoft etc etc.

then look if theres anything sus in there. bsaically trojans will (from my experience) have really weird names...like hhafkngn.exe ... or they could be disguised as a windows file eg svchosts.exe (which should be svchost.exe) so have a good look.

another probably easier way (lol just thought of it), is make sure you have admin privileges, then press start > run. and type msconfig. now you see a system configuration utility. now click the startup tab, and then go look for anything suss there.

make sure you do all that in safe mode (on startup, keep pressing f8 after you turn the power on, then a menu will come up, choose safe mode and press enter)

until you do that, i recomend creating a account with no admin privileges, just limited user or whatever. and use that for your day to day usage, till you go to safemode and do the stuff i wrote above.

People running Windows XP HOME Edition does not have msconfig. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate skin over XP Home, and it doesn't let me run that.

Lol,i would wanna multi-quote all of you,but i didn't.So,I'll explain something.Norton is a piece of shi*.AVG is way better than that,And Kaspersky Internet Security is the best.Oh,and BTW,check the file called csrss.exe.I had a virus from this,but KIS detected it in time and i deleted it.You can see it from the registry,or from Windows Task Manager under Processes.

σαмε, It would help to use spaces before other sentences and not all up together. ;)

Edited by I©e

People running Windows XP HOME Edition does not have msconfig. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate skin over XP Home, and it doesn't let me run that.

σαмε, It would help to use spaces before other sentences and not all up together. ;)

I have come to prove you wrong.

1221409777.png

1221409908.png

Care to press OK for me? OP, is the problem fixed yet?

You mean the gpedit.msc?
Yeah. That's it. How come it never works for Home Edition ? :huh:

It's for group policy. . .

which uhh...just..ISNT compatible with XP home, since if you wanna control that way u need xp pro

msconfig does work on xp home...lol. no offence or anything, but you should try it first before saying it doesnt work.

it was in program files?!? lol, thats weird. what was it called (folder or exe)

Edited by WRX22B1998

You mean the gpedit.msc?
Yeah. That's it. How come it never works for Home Edition ? :huh:

It's for group policy. . .

which uhh...just..ISNT compatible with XP home, since if you wanna control that way u need xp pro

msconfig does work on xp home...lol. no offence or anything, but you should try it first before saying it doesnt work.

Nah, it was for a method to make your net faster, and he coulnd't access that by 'Run...'.

Edited by S-V