Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

The gigabyte one (first) is actually a 1GB 4850. AND, its stock overclocked, and looks like it has a much better cooler on it. the sapphire is 512MB, not as big a cooler (essential for 4850 i heard it gets a little hotter than other cards) but $20 less. personally i'd go for the gigabyte.

@Giedrius

It would run, but you would definitely definitely have it on really low settings.

Edited by WRX22B1998

For anyone having problems getting the game to start at all make sure you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed. That was why it wouldn't start for me on XP Pro.

Check this Video out on my performance in game. All settings max @ 1440x900 except for draw distance is at default.

http://www.xfire.com/video/4bd97/

Just about all bugs I was having or experiencing are gone after the .NET 3.5 install and a good defrag on XP.

I have only 2 GB RAM but that is really not enough, I know the game spec says 2.5 GB for Vista ..

I noticed the game was acting weird, sometimes the road was missing or buildings, its like changing the graphics settings sometimes would or wouldnt affect that..

I'm thinking its the lack of system RAM. As I noticed it peaking at 1.95 !! >.<

So far newegg is the place I've found least expensive PC2 6400 for 4GB (2x2GB). Have any of you guys had any experiences, w/ Mushkin EM brand ? I've read some reviews saying it was good but seems less likely to be good for gaming/ OC..

game spec says 1.5gb for vista 1gb for xp

The recommended settings for system RAM are 2GB for XP and 2.5GB Vista, its on my game label. I never go w/ "minimum reqs" as are listed for some products because they usually offer the poorest performance. I've contacted T2 w/ my issue to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

my box only says 'system requirements'

its runs very slow on my set up at the moment but i am getting a 7900GS factory overclocked tomorrow which is what it asks for

so i will let you know how it goes

i have a intel pentium D dual core 2.8

2gb ram on windows media centre

Here are the specs for my crack top that most people say wouldn't run Fallout 3, and it did at high settings.

Windows Vista Home Premium.

Processor: Intell Core 2 cpu. 1.73 ghz, and 1.73 ghz.

Ram: 2 GB

System type: 32 bit.

Graphics card. Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS.

If you have any recommendations, or questions let me know.

I have roughly $500 bucks, I can put into this rig, assuming I can find somebody to install the components.

The gigabyte one (first) is actually a 1GB 4850. AND, its stock overclocked, and looks like it has a much better cooler on it. the sapphire is 512MB, not as big a cooler (essential for 4850 i heard it gets a little hotter than other cards) but $20 less. personally i'd go for the gigabyte.

@Giedrius

It would run, but you would definitely definitely have it on really low settings.

The sapphire is also 1GB..

The gigabyte cooler is actually aluminum but painted to look copper. It's also a Zalman, a company which makes good coolers.

Edited by Shortbus

Here are the specs for my crack top that most people say wouldn't run Fallout 3, and it did at high settings.

I have roughly $500 bucks, I can put into this rig, assuming I can find somebody to install the components.

save your money install parts yourself if easy

@Giedrius

The sapphire is also 1GB..

The gigabyte cooler is actually aluminum but painted to look copper. It's also a Zalman, a company which makes good coolers.

yeah. lol whoops..thats what happens at 1am, i guess you sorta lose focus :P , i would still buy the gigabyte though, better cooler and stock overclocked. :)

So um what should I upgrade? If I need to.

well see, upgrading laptop can create a few issues (iam guessing).

1. the laptop wasnt designed to be upgraded really, you can do some minor upgrades like RAM or a DVD drive or something. But CPU/video card, i dunno, maybe cos the heat generated by the upgraded components, the chassis isnt sufficient / designed to cool those parts effectively. thats just a thought.

2. space. and finding the perfectly correct component would be sorta hard to do given the size and different layouts of laptops.

If i were you, I'd use the $500 towards a desktop.

So um what should I upgrade? If I need to.

the game requires a 1.8ghz dual core processor so yours might not be up to it

i would buy the game anyway and see how it plays and if it doesn't then think about upgrading

Hey guys, I'm going to possibly be buying a laptop soon and I just wanted to know what you guys think of my setup and what I could improve.

HP Pavilion dv5-1100:

hp-pavilion-dv5-1000-entertainment-notebook-pc-series-EMEA_400x400.jpg

Operating system installed: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)

Processor Type: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P7350

Processor Speed: 2GHz

Cache: Level 2 cache 3 MB

Standard Memory: 3072 MB

Memory Layout: (1 x 1024 MB + 1 x 2048 MB)

Internal Drives: 320 GB

Optical Drive Type: Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer

Wireless Technologies: Intel® WiFi Link 5100 and Bluetooth

Video RAM: up to 1535 MB total graphics memory with 256 MB dedicated

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS

COST: 779 GBP and $1143

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hey Mp,

Don is right there, in fact, I got a pretty damn good Desktop PC for about £577 and it runs like mad. In fact, I could help out with what you would need. Click here: http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?...&KEY=439394

That link I posted is pretty much my PC, only that you pay a little extra and that the HDD is 750GB, I think this suits you perfectly, just change the GFX card and you're set. I got mines in about 2 weeks and it works awesomely, shipped without no problems.

Hey Mp,

Don is right there, in fact, I got a pretty damn good Desktop PC for about £577 and it runs like mad. In fact, I could help out with what you would need. Click here: http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?...&KEY=439394

That link I posted is pretty much my PC, only that you pay a little extra and that the HDD is 750GB, I think this suits you perfectly, just change the GFX card and you're set. I got mines in about 2 weeks and it works awesomely, shipped without no problems.

Wow, thats a beast of a computer. Only problem is that I live in the Middle East and it's a bitch to get stuff delivered here.

I'm going to have a look around at the desktops and laptops round the shops here and I'll post here for advice. Thanks though TM and GTADon, appreciate it.

Oh and what is the 'ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 Graphics' card like? Are ATI graphics cards good?

Edited by Mpilk901

I've noticed that the graphics settings in GTA IV are based on the amount of video memory you have, rather than the speed/power of your card. If this is the case, would a 1GB 9500GT be a good buy or would I be better off going with something older, but designed for gaming?

Also, for a low price, would you recommend an ATI 3850? or an equivalent NVIDIA card?

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+, 2400MHz 1 Core(s), 1 logical processor

Memory: 3Gig DDR2

GPU: nVidia GeForce 8600GT

I would like to think it will run on all low, at least.

Maybe, but that single-core processor will hold you back a lot.

will it work for me

pentuim 4 1.60 ghz

nvidia geforce 6200 256mb

93.3 gb hd

256mb ram

win xp pro sp3

Not a chance, sorry. You're better off just getting a new PC than upgrading.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+, 2400MHz 1 Core(s), 1 logical processor

Memory: 3Gig DDR2

GPU: nVidia GeForce 8600GT

I would like to think it will run on all low, at least.

Maybe, but that single-core processor will hold you back a lot.

will it work for me

pentuim 4 1.60 ghz

nvidia geforce 6200 256mb

93.3 gb hd

256mb ram

win xp pro sp3

Not a chance, sorry. You're better off just getting a new PC than upgrading.

cant afford one but im gettin 3gb ram would that help me

I've noticed that the graphics settings in GTA IV are based on the amount of video memory you have, rather than the speed/power of your card. If this is the case, would a 1GB 9500GT be a good buy or would I be better off going with something older, but designed for gaming?

Also, for a low price, would you recommend an ATI 3850? or an equivalent NVIDIA card?

Can anyone answer my question? I'm looking for a good graphics card for a low price, anyone have any recommendations?