Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

Hello, I just got my ATI HD4850 512 MB.

I have a CPU AMD 64X2 4600+ 2.4 ghz, and 2GB RAM

Haven't installed VGA yet because I'm looking for a power supply.

What frame rate should i get with this?

Do I need to buy a new processor?

I have found a 150 $ Core 2 Quad 6600 but for this I'll need a motherboard too, because mine is Asus M2N4-SLI and doesn't support quad.

Should I stay with what I have or do I still need to upgrade?

thank you.

4850 should be able to run the game quite well, X2 isnt a bad processor, 4600+ is ok, but i guess you would get benefit from a Q6600 (quad core)

if your just planning on having a intel 775 based CPU and a single pcie graphics card, maybe get the ASUS P5KPL-CM. its about $72AUD here, thats about $50 USD.

for a power supply, use a good name brand: thermaltake, coolermaster, antec etc. maybe coolermaster realpower 550W. or whatever other you wanna buy, i would go for 500W as minimum, and dont buy a no-name.

I cannot say for sure what framerate you will get, cos i dont have the same hardware to test etc. just google / search around for it.

Edited by WRX22B1998

4850 should be able to run the game quite well, X2 isnt a bad processor, 4600+ is ok, but i guess you would get benefit from a Q6600 (quad core)

if your just planning on having a intel 775 based CPU and a single pcie graphics card, maybe get the ASUS P5KPL-CM. its about $72AUD here, thats about $50 USD.

for a power supply, use a good name brand: thermaltake, coolermaster, antec etc. maybe coolermaster realpower 550W. or whatever other you wanna buy, i would go for 500W as minimum, and dont buy a no-name.

I cannot say for sure what framerate you will get, cos i dont have the same hardware to test etc. just google / search around for it.

Thank you. I just played the first hour. This is definitely the best game I have ever seen.

It doesn't look like a game, but like a video. But however, very hard for my PC.

With a resolution 1024x756, Medium Graphics and Medium rendering (which is after Low, and then is High and very high I can hardly play.

I mean, I can play, but it's not satisfying. And the other options, like Distance Draw and number of objects on the scene, are set around 30% out of 100%.

My PC is AMD 64 X2 4600+ 2.4 ghz, Ram 2GB 800 mhz, Motherboard ASUS M2N4-sli, VGA ATI HD4850 512 MB.

So, if you want to know if your PC will play GTA IV, you must have at least... this hardware.

If you want a decent gaming, you need more then this. Especially in graphic Card.

I would like to know if I ad RAM, will it improve any better? Or it's everything about the graphics card?

Edited by gtafan09

Hey guys, still looking at laptops. What do you guys think of this one for the deal I get and what settings it would run at?

Compaq Presario CQ60-116EE:

c01491476.jpg

Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0 GHz

2GB Ram

250GB Hardrive

256MB NVIDIA G-force 9200M

+ free printer, mouse, laptop bag and Norton Anti-Virus.

$849

or

570 GBP (stupid computer doesn't have the pound sign...)

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, still looking at laptops. What do you guys think of this one for the deal I get and what settings it would run at?

Compaq Presario CQ60-116EE:

c01491476.jpg

Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0 GHz

2GB Ram

250GB Hardrive

256MB NVIDIA G-force 9200M

+ free printer, mouse, laptop bag and Norton Anti-Virus.

$849

or

570 GBP (stupid computer doesn't have the pound sign...)

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Sorry man, but you won't be able to run it.

Well, maybe run it, but at lowest with lowest resolution with no AA or not with a decent frame rate.

Ok well I just had a look at some reviews online for the NVIDIA 9200, they don't look to positive...

I might post back here tomorrow asking about some ADI cards or I'll just look up some reviews online.

If you're going for NVIDIA, you will need either an 8 or 9 series card, where the second number is either a 6 or an 8, eg. 8600, 8800, 9600 or 9800. The 8800 and 9800 are the best cards to get. You're also better off getting a card with at least 512mb of RAM. A 9200 is an entry level card, not designed for gaming and you can get far better for the price you quoted.

If you go for ATi, you will want either a 38xx or 48xx card.

Ok well I just had a look at some reviews online for the NVIDIA 9200, they don't look to positive...

I might post back here tomorrow asking about some ADI cards or I'll just look up some reviews online.

If you're going for NVIDIA, you will need either an 8 or 9 series card, where the second number is either a 6 or an 8, eg. 8600, 8800, 9600 or 9800. The 8800 and 9800 are the best cards to get. You're also better off getting a card with at least 512mb of RAM. A 9200 is an entry level card, not designed for gaming and you can get far better for the price you quoted.

If you go for ATi, you will want either a 38xx or 48xx card.

Is there anything else you could expand on about the ATi cards? Where I live there's not much choice and most laptops have ATi graphics cards...

If I had the choice I'd order of the internet, but nowhere delivers here. Damn.

Edited by Mpilk901

Is there anything else you could expand on about the ATi cards? Where I live there's not much choice and most laptops have ATi graphics cards...

I don't know a huge amount about ATi cards. I have a 3850, and it seems to play most games pretty well, it will probably play GTA IV well too, but I don't know (I have a feeling that my problem isn't to do with the card). You're probably safer going with NVIDIA as their drivers are better, but ATi are probably best value. So long as it's a 512mb card you'll be ok with either a 3850 or 3870 (or if you're willing to spend more, a 4850 or 4870).

I don't know a huge amount about ATi cards. I have a 3850, and it seems to play most games pretty well, it will probably play GTA IV well too, but I don't know (I have a feeling that my problem isn't to do with the card). You're probably safer going with NVIDIA as their drivers are better, but ATi are probably best value. So long as it's a 512mb card you'll be ok with either a 3850 or 3870 (or if you're willing to spend more, a 4850 or 4870).

Thanks for your advice, has helped me alot. This will help me pick a laptop to order of the web.

I've got a weird mix of hardware but hopefully someone can shed some light on problems/potential areas of improvement for running GTA IV. Borrowed a copy of GTA IV and installed it on my PC with the following specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz w/ HT enabled (LGA775; 800MHz)

2GB PC3200 DDR RAM

KFA2 Nvidia GeForce 9600GT, PCI-E (on a 1.0 board) / 512MB DDR3 / 675MHz Core Clock / 2000MHz Memory clock / 64 stream processors

Windows XP Professional

It's unfortunately a bit slow... benchmark tests show an average frame rate of 8-9fps which was disappointing considering the good reviews on the video card. I recognize the game wasn't designed for a P4, but at 3.4GHz and HyperThreading, I was expecting something like ~20fps. The dual-core 1.8GHz requirement is supposedly similar to 3.6GHz but despite coming in close at 3.4GHz, performance isn't great.

If I buy this game, would I have any hope of finding optimal settings to make this game run more smoothly?

Thanks.

I've got a weird mix of hardware but hopefully someone can shed some light on problems/potential areas of improvement for running GTA IV. Borrowed a copy of GTA IV and installed it on my PC with the following specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz w/ HT enabled (LGA775; 800MHz)

2GB PC3200 DDR RAM

KFA2 Nvidia GeForce 9600GT, PCI-E (on a 1.0 board) / 512MB DDR3 / 675MHz Core Clock / 2000MHz Memory clock / 64 stream processors

Windows XP Professional

It's unfortunately a bit slow... benchmark tests show an average frame rate of 8-9fps which was disappointing considering the good reviews on the video card. I recognize the game wasn't designed for a P4, but at 3.4GHz and HyperThreading, I was expecting something like ~20fps. The dual-core 1.8GHz requirement is supposedly similar to 3.6GHz but despite coming in close at 3.4GHz, performance isn't great.

If I buy this game, would I have any hope of finding optimal settings to make this game run more smoothly?

Thanks.

You really should get a new Core 2 Duo/Quad Processor, cause Pentium 4 sucks so bad, with his bad technology.

Iv got all the main recommended but my RAM is only 1GB. And i have the missing texture bug sadly, my apartment interior is fine but when outside it all either loads crappy or doesnt load at all. Does the patch help this? any idea's to help is very much appreciated :)

Edited by joelzaar

I've just ordered a pc with these specs (not an expensive system, spent about 840$):

Processor: AMD PHENOM 9950 QUAD-CORE 125 AM2+ 4MB

Motherboard: GIGA-BYTE 770/SB600 SAM2 ATX/GA-MA770-DS3

RAM: 2 x A-DATA 1GB DDRII PC6400 DDR800 DIMM1GBPC800-RPPAK2

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG F1 750GB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB HD753LJ

Graphics: ASUS RADEON HD4850 PCIE 512MB GDDR3

I'm pretty sure GTA IV will run fine on this system, but the question is, can I play it maxed out, and if not, does anybody with a similar system or just a lot of experience with GTA IV know what are the optimum settings knowing that my main goal is not to ever let the performance drop under about 26 fps.

Hello, guys. Can anyone help me decide?

I have an ATI HD 4850 Graphic Card. I am not pleased with my AMD 4600+ and 2 GB Ram PC.

I tried to get a Q6600 but couldnt afford both processor and Mobo.

Now, with Christmass Offers, I have two options to choose:

There are two different PC-s on sale with good prices, with all the same specs, except processor.

One has Intel C2D E7200 2.66 ghz and the other has Phenom X4 9550 2.2 ghz. Both 4 GB RAM and the Graphic Card doesn't matter, because I will put mine, ATI HD 4850 512 MB.

Price almost the same.

The e7200 PC is accer and the Phenom X4 9550 is Packard Bell.

With my actual PC I'm getting about 18 fps with 1280x1224, highest rendering and shadows.

Thank you.

Edited by gtafan09

I'd say the AMD one, mainly because it's a quad-core where the Intel is only a dual-core and IV will take advantage of all four cores.

But regardless of the processor you get, if by highest shadow settings you mean that the Shadow slider is turned up, you will get low FPS no matter what processor you have. Rockstar has specifically stated that those settings are for future hardware, I doubt even the Intel i7s can handle the shadow slider being at 13. Keep it at 1-3.

I'd say the AMD one, mainly because it's a quad-core where the Intel is only a dual-core and IV will take advantage of all four cores.

But regardless of the processor you get, if by highest shadow settings you mean that the Shadow slider is turned up, you will get low FPS no matter what processor you have. Rockstar has specifically stated that those settings are for future hardware, I doubt even the Intel i7s can handle the shadow slider being at 13. Keep it at 1-3.

Yes, exactly that's what I meant with shadows highest settings, but :o really have they said that? What else are they going to put on market?

I have a feeling that this is the wrong time to buy a new PC, especially now with i7 on the market and AMD that is going to launch Phenom II on January.

Maybe I should just add an AMD 6000+ processor and 2 GB ram to my actual PC and try to be satisfied with what I get for another year. I'm still very confused, with all these options. But it just hurts :P not being able to play at full graphics a wonderfully detailed game like GTA IV.

Anyways, below I'm posting what my benchmark on GTA IV said, in case anyone needs to compare his specs and understand if he can run GTA IV on his PC or not. And I was wrong before about 18 fps.

All slides (shadows, detail etc) were at maximum, except View Distance, which demanded more than 512 MB of memory from the video card.

And by the way, thank you very much guys, for the tip on ATI 4850. It's really the best you can get for the money. It's a pity that it doesn't share memory from ram, but it's still OK.

And also for the tip on the motherboard, which I might buy, if I decide to get a quadcore.

It was very helpful.

Statistics

Average FPS: 15.87

Duration: 37.61 sec

CPU Usage: 100%

System memory usage: 86%

Video memory usage: 69%

Graphics Settings

Video Mode: 1280 x 1024 (75 Hz)

Texture Quality: Medium

Render Quality: Highest

View Distance: 25