Can my PC run GTA IV?

Chris

If you want full experience on GTAIV, you need a Core 2 Quad or your game will lag as f*ck. (Getting less than 15fps, for example)

I've been using a 3.1GHz AMD X2 and the game doesn't lag that badly for me. I know of people with poor processors who simply turn up the resolution if the game is lagging and it takes the strain off the processor and instead puts it on the graphics card.

The only thing that's holding my system back I feel is my graphics card, which is why I want to know what card to buy.

Edited by Davesta

Hey, guys .. I rly want to know if I can run GTA IV. Even with minimum requirements would be great. I am worried about my graphic card.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.4Ghz

RAM: 2.5Gb

GPU: ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 (overclocked: core 665 Mhz; memory 525 Mhz)

So how it be?

Yes but that graphics card and especially that processor aren't anywhere near enough to play the game, I don't think it will even start up with that processor.

so my vcd no good that sucks i just got it 3 months ago

but anyway im buying a pentium 4 ht 3.2ghz will that work and 3gb ram

Hey, guys .. I rly want to know if I can run GTA IV. Even with minimum requirements would be great. I am worried about my graphic card.

So how it be?

You might get by with around 10fps, but you need to upgrade your graphics card and processor.

Yes but that graphics card and especially that processor aren't anywhere near enough to play the game, I don't think it will even start up with that processor.

No, don't get a Pentium 4, you need a multi-core processor, if your motherboard is LGA-slot you can probably get a C2D which would be much better.

So how it be?

You might get by with around 10fps, but you need to upgrade your graphics card and processor.

No, don't get a Pentium 4, you need a multi-core processor, if your motherboard is LGA-slot you can probably get a C2D which would be much better.

i cant find 3ghz 478pin dual cores if u can tell me were to get 1 under 150$ then id be thankful

Hey finally another post from me after many months.

Hopefully this time I can be a little bit active in the forums if I actually can get to play the game on my PC.

Here's my specs, I just copy n paste what 'system tests' (like systemrequirementslab) gave me. I don't know much about the processor as I bought the whole rig from someone, who overclocked it.

Intel® CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz, running @ 2801MHz

3GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series 512MB overclocked to 1GB

XP SP2

--

I should upgrade to SP3 before getting the game since it's recommended (I heard you can tweak the reg to make it run on SP2), it better be faster then ;)

And I know it isn't that good enough, low settings perhaps? Okay? I don't know about the gfx settings of the game. Thanks

oh and hi chris82 :hi:

How much is 10 fps? Lags even on min settings?

10 fps is what we call 'playable' and its about what I get (about 14, but same difference)

Its okay, but slow and it'll get choppy every once in a while.

but I have a laptop, so the only thing I can upgrade is the processor...

but here's my specs to gauge off of

2.3Ghz Turion Ultra x2

4 GB ram

Win XP (32 bit so it makes that ram kinda pointless)

ATI HD Radeon 3200 (Dedicated Puma)

And I could be wrong, but I believe that you're right, your processor is good for low detail but that graphics card will need to be replaced

Edited by chrono

Hey finally another post from me after many months.

Hopefully this time I can be a little bit active in the forums if I actually can get to play the game on my PC.

Here's my specs, I just copy n paste what 'system tests' (like systemrequirementslab) gave me. I don't know much about the processor as I bought the whole rig from someone, who overclocked it.

Intel® CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz, running @ 2801MHz

3GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series 512MB overclocked to 1GB

XP SP2

--

I should upgrade to SP3 before getting the game since it's recommended (I heard you can tweak the reg to make it run on SP2), it better be faster then ;)

And I know it isn't that good enough, low settings perhaps? Okay? I don't know about the gfx settings of the game. Thanks

oh and hi chris82 :hi:

Any help? :rolleyes:

Oh and I think my gfx card is supposed to be 3870 :clapping:

Hey smartboy4,

Use DxDiag (Click on Search and enter in "dxdiag"). Print screen it and upload here. That is of course if you don't know your system that accurately. Your graphics card seems decent, possibly could run it on low/medium possibly. Probably might want to upgrade your processor, speed isn't that good. RAM is good so no worry about that.

But post your dxdiag, it will help us alot more.

Edited by TM™

Hey smartboy4,

Use DxDiag (Click on Search and enter in "dxdiag"). Print screen it and upload here. That is of course if you don't know your system that accurately. Your graphics card seems decent, possibly could run it on low/medium possibly. Probably might want to upgrade your processor, speed isn't that good. RAM is good so no worry about that.

But post your dxdiag, it will help us alot more.

I prefer to write it out as in the diagnostic tool it does not show my overclocked processor's speed, that's the only thing I was unsure about.

I got this just a few months back :bashhead: Lowest settings still no? >.<

New at these forums, hopefully you are helpful :]

CPU: AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.2GHz

Memory: 2GB RAM

Video: Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB

Windows XP

The RAM and Video Card are not in this computer, ordered them from newegg a couple days ago.

I'm more concerned about the processor. It's a single processor, while the minimum says I will need a dual core.

I've made this topic because we're getting a lot of people asking us whether or not they'll be able to run GTA IV on their PC, and if not, what should they get, etc.

No official requirements have been released yet, but by looking at other recent games we (or rather chris82) has produced this spec list - I think it's probably about halfway between the minimum and recommended specs.

Windows 2000/XP/Vista

Intel Core2Duo E4600 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

1GB of RAM (Windows 2000/XP)/2GB of RAM (Windows Vista)

nVidia 8xxx series/ATi 28xx/38xx series

UPDATE: 30th October 2008 - Official specs now released, topic has been updated, see below for specs.

Minimum System Requirements

• OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
  • Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB Free Hard Drive Space
  • Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements

• OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
  • Memory: 2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista)
  • 18 GB Free Hard Drive Space
  • Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

So if you're not sure you'll be able to run the game, just post your specs here and I or someone else who knows what they're talking about will answer you, and if necessary tell you what you should get in order to run the game well.

You might also want to post your monitor resolution that you'll be planning on playing at.

[/Pentium 4, 3.4Ghz, 2 gig RAM, Windows XP Service Pak 3, Tornado NVidia GeForce Fx5200 256 MB video adapter, 24" HpL2208W monitor, 1280 x 1024 resolution, 38 Gig available hdd space available. GTA IV FATAL ERROR:DD3D50 on launch]

Pentium 4, 3.4Ghz, 2 gig RAM, Windows XP Service Pak 3, Tornado NVidia GeForce Fx5200 256 MB video adapter, 24" HpL2208W monitor, 1280 x 1024 resolution, 38 Gig available HDD space available.

FX5200? No, IV won't run on that card. If you have a PCI-Express slot, then you might as well get yourself at least a GeForce 7900, or better yet, an 8600GT. A Pentium 4 may be able to run that game processor-wise, but the fact that you have a very old card keeps you from making Niko show up in front of your screen.

Hi all...

well... I've had a few interesting days trying to tweak my pc to make gta iv more comfortable on my system...

there have been a few improvements... but it now looks like SH** and it still runs laggy. I get 20-22fps in Roman's appartment... and anything below 15 outside...

which is, needless to say... NO FUN at all...

this is what i have done so far...

- updated: .net framework; directx; gpu drivers(beta); service pack(using XP)

- killed each and every living process running in the background ;)

- de-fragmented my hard disc

- played on lowest/highest resolution..

- tried all them parameters i could find and put them in varying combinations in my commandline.txt

this is my current config: -width=1440 -height=900 -safemode -norestrictions -framelimit 1 -novblank -minspecaudio -nomemrestrict -texturequality=0 -renderquality=0 -detailquality=0 -shadowdensity=0 -viewdistance=0 -availablevidmem 512

the safemode switch made the biggest difference... the other ones weren't measurable... i don't even know if they actually do anything if in safemode?

well... here's my system specs

[email protected]

3070MB RAM

Nvidia Quadro FX1600M w/ 512MB

this is a laptop... just to clearify...

I can play far cry 2 on High with some AA... so this shouldn't be all thaaat slow, now shouldn't it?

well.. i would be very thankful for any more insights on how to improve performance... otherwise... i'm crossing my fingers for that darn patch...

i was just wondering.. did anybody try turning off social club and all after starting the game? cause people keep saying that this might be a performance buster?!

cheers and congrats to all who are already at it at above 20fps ;-)

Windows XP

The RAM and Video Card are not in this computer, ordered them from newegg a couple days ago.

I'm more concerned about the processor. It's a single processor, while the minimum says I will need a dual core.

Anyone?

Windows XP

I don't think you'll be able to, sorry. Also that video card is probably not capable of running the game either.