Swine Flu?

Slyde

Well, the WHO have changed the name to H1N1 now (it's scientific name), to stop the slaughter of pigs, basically because of what Gerard said?

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what this really is. It is not "swine flu". One version of swine flu mutated (as it regularly does) into this flu, which is a mixture of a few different types. This variation can be passed to humans, and passed between humans.

And when was the first case again? Well, April 12 is the farthest I know.

Compared to SARS...

8096 cases & 774 deaths

SARS was worse.

Edited by NotYouHaha

Whenever stuff like this occurs, the Media, no matter what, will scare the living hell out of you. They will use sentences like "Things just got WORSE", or "We are all soon to be DEAD" etc. to scare us. This influenza gives mild symptoms outside of Mexico, so if you ever do get it, it will be mild symptoms. I've been watching BBC News lately, and it seems everyone who got it were isolated and were taking Anti-Virals to stabilize the symptoms. Seems to be working for the time being.

I say don't get worried, even if this is close to Phase 6 (Pandemic under way etc.), just contact your GP or whatever and ask them what to do to prevent it from getting worse, that way it can prevent it from getting any worse. They have measures in place so you can contain the virus and stabilize it.

Anyone else get the little leaflet through the door? Mainly talking to the English members here. Again, it's being over-blown the whole thing. The moment a new case is found, it's all over the news, eg '20TH SWINE PIG STRAIN FOUND - PRIME MINISTER ISSUES STATEMENT', etc. It is serious, but I don't think it's life-threatening. The pictures of people wearing masks abroad is going a bit far, IMO. No need for it, it's not as if the virus is flying through the air. It's transmitted by the infected people when they sneeze.