Obama wins historic US election

Chris

Can't believe none of you Americans made this topic. None of you care about politics? I mean your country makes a fucking big deal of it, worldwide news coverage for one country's elections...

Well anyway, it ended, and as expected Obama won, by a fucking lot too. Which, if you look at it, was kinda expected. Only if you watched biased media outlets (like Fox Faux News always backing the Republicans) would you have believed otherwise, in my opinion anyway. I know in some states/counties it was actually really close, but overall, not so.

In the UK, I watched BBC News' coverage of things, as always, one of the most reputable news agencies in the world if you ask me. Over here there was no Republican bias, it was a lot more fairer, in fact if anything we were leaning towards Obama more often. There were a few things I picked up on when watching the coverage.

The presenter with the touch screen map of America showing all the states - he knew exactly where each one was. Reverse the situation and put an American pointing out countries in Europe... not sure you'd get the same result. :P Yes I know that would never happen and it's irrelevant to the politics itself, I'm just saying.

Probably the best thing though was the comment made by one of the presenters on the ineptitude of American media, mainly Fox News. No one likes them. Dunno if any of you guys read digg.com much but yeah, I've seen evidence of a lot of shit Fox News have tried to pull, and god I hope that never happens in the UK.

Anyway I can't remember who said it, but the comment was "Fox News is NOT good enough. No." - it was good to see that they realise Fox News is far too biased for it's own good.

But yeah, main point of this topic...

Are you happy with the result? Or did you think McCain should have won? What's your opinion on things?

If like me you aren't an American citizen, who would you have voted for if you could have? And how did your country portray things?

Links:

Interactive election results map

Obama wins historic US election

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I was watching BBC's coverage, very nicely done, rotating people in and out for discussion and that touch screen was cool...you'd never see a touch screen like that in American media. :awesome:

Also I'm fairly certain that if the world could have voted in this election, Obama would have won by at least a 9:1 margin.

Anyway the one big thing I care about, net neutrality, Obama supports and McCain doesn't. So there.

i'm about to make a topic about him but then again i'm too lazy to do that ^_^

i think he is actually an honest leader, and now that the first black president in America has been elected i feel relieved because perhaps discrimination against race is no more in politics. and let's not forget that his stepfather is an Indonesian :P

i honestly think that Obama has his own vision about USA, and these visions are important to the future of one of the most respected state on earth. about stopping the iraq war and all. he is quite the hero, and all we need these days is him to be the leader and not McCain. because i think McCain would just be an ordinary president, not phenomenal like Obama.

Edited by Denny Crane!

Being mixed race, I really wanted Obama to win. And I'm glad that most Americans were not biased enough to vote for him. Aparently most of the people who didn't vote for him were racist, but dunno where that information has come from. Obama seems like a great leader. He isn't talking crap most of the time and may probably get down to some actual changes instead of talking about them to make everyone feel like the country is improving... The only bad thing is he's a politician :P Kinda interrupts my "Hate all politicians" thing... :)

Hopefully he will stop the war in Iraq. Why the hell is America invading anyway!?

Edited by Deji

America only invaded Iraq I think (and will probably get slated for this) is because of the oil, thats why there still there after 5.5 years. I know somepeople may bot agree with me, but they found NO weapons of mass destruction at all, if they haven't found any they should just get out of there. There soldiers are dying and they (Bush) says he wants to help the Iraqi people but sometimes you can help, the best think they could do to help is leave the country as all that is ahppening is that more people will just become extremists as there unhappy with American Soldiers being in their country, if america stay in Iraq they'll suffer the casualties, no matter what anyone says, no one has ever got rid of a terrorist group, it aint going to happen and never will, just look at the IRA, negotiations can work and is probably the best solution, doubt America would even contemplate this though.

Yeah, if Iraq was soooo dangerous. How come they took it over in like 4 weeks? xD So what if they had weapons of mas destruction? America do too. America might not trust Iraq with them but I cant say I completely trust ANYONE with them. Why create something you're not gonna use? Unless you have the intention to use it.

America only invaded Iraq I think (and will probably get slated for this) is because of the oil, thats why there still there after 5.5 years. I know somepeople may bot agree with me, but they found NO weapons of mass destruction at all, if they haven't found any they should just get out of there. There soldiers are dying and they (Bush) says he wants to help the Iraqi people but sometimes you can help, the best think they could do to help is leave the country as all that is ahppening is that more people will just become extremists as there unhappy with American Soldiers being in their country, if america stay in Iraq they'll suffer the casualties, no matter what anyone says, no one has ever got rid of a terrorist group, it aint going to happen and never will, just look at the IRA, negotiations can work and is probably the best solution, doubt America would even contemplate this though.

One advantage of the American and the British troops being in the Middle East, is that they are encouraging young children that the Taliban are bad people. The Taliban seek on the young children to join them when they are older and if the troops can encourage them that this is not good, this can seriously stop acts of terrorism. If you've seen videos and documentaries of our troops in Afghanistan then you'll know what I'm talking about. Arab countries feel safe with us defending them and we can't leave them to fall victim to the terrorist acts.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Edited by Mpilk901

I was going for Obama to win since the run up to the elections. Ever since my holiday to Florida earlier this year I have liked Barack Obama. In the state of Florida -- according to my grandparents who live in the state and have done for almost 30 years -- there are little taxes for basic public services such as Library, Education etc. They want to see it change not only because their public Library is crap but because it is so poor of the Republicans to do so.

There was a massive discussion going on in school about it aswell. The most talk was about his win but about the Ku Klux Klan (and Neo-Nazis) and what they would do to Obama. (Sick minded teenagers...)

I wasn't suprised one bit how things turned out. I knew Obama was going to win in the first place. Once Obama won state of Pennsyvania you could tell

things were going screwed up for Mccain. The way it turned out for Obama winnng in a landslide wasn't a shocker. It was a bit odd though how most of the

Southern states were states that Mccain won and the North-Eastern states were clinched by Obama. Although again not suprised. Glad to see Obama become

the first African- American president. :thumbsup:

Well anyway, it ended, and as expected Obama won, by a fucking lot too. Which, if you look at it, was kinda expected. Only if you watched biased media outlets (like Fox Faux News always backing the Republicans) would you have believed otherwise, in my opinion anyway. I know in some states/counties it was actually really close, but overall, not so.

In the UK, I watched BBC News' coverage of things, as always, one of the most reputable news agencies in the world if you ask me. Over here there was no Republican bias, it was a lot more fairer, in fact if anything we were leaning towards Obama more often. There were a few things I picked up on when watching the coverage.

Probably the best thing though was the comment made by one of the presenters on the ineptitude of American media, mainly Fox News. No one likes them. Dunno if any of you guys read digg.com much but yeah, I've seen evidence of a lot of shit Fox News have tried to pull, and god I hope that never happens in the UK.

Anyway I can't remember who said it, but the comment was "Fox News is NOT good enough. No." - it was good to see that they realise Fox News is far too biased for it's own good.

With all due respect but are you kidding me? This is the type of crap I was talking about in another topic. This Fox News derangement syndrome which is running rampant through out the world is astounding. "Faux News always backing the Republicans", excuse me, but that is bullshit. Most, if not all, news networks around the world apart from Fox have Obama's cock firmly lodged in their throats and you say Fox is biased? BBC is quite biased itself towards liberals, you even said so yourself that they were leaning for Obama most of the way, and digg.com has been known for banning and chastising Republicans or Conservatives for voicing their opinion whilst letting liberal hate speech and anti-American, anti-conservative propaganda go unmoderated.

Half the people who work at Fox you can't even tell which Party/candidate they would vote for and the other half openly support both Republicans, and you guessed it, DEMOCRATS. They have created a show with the specific purpose of showing both sides of the argument with a conservative republican host and a liberal democrat host, and before someone brings up Bill O'Reilly, he's a REGISTERED INDEPENDENT.

Fox News was probably the only network I saw who asked Obama the tough questions aswell as McCain. When that reporter in Florida asked Biden a legitimate question which concerned many Americans he couldn't answer the question straight and immediately after, the Obama camp cut all ties to the station. When A Fox news reporter, I think his name was Major Garret, can't be sure. When he made a mistake in his reporting, the NEXT DAY, he came on television to tell the public, "I'm sorry, I was misinformed and therefore misled the viewers. I apologize and I hope it never happens again" or something to that affect. When a CNN reporter I believe it was, made flat out false allegations against Sarah Palin and found out he was wrong, he couldn't bring himself to apologize to her and not one person from CNN told him he should. I bet CNN aren't liberally biased either...?

Most people hate Fox because they dare to speak against the Messiah. Fuck Obama. If he and his followers can't handle being asked the same tough questions which they berated McCain/Palin with then they should get the fuck out of the game. Yes, Fox makes mistakes like any other news corporation/station but it isn't a recurring trend of inaccuracies like you are suggesting. I switched between Fox News' coverage and CNN's coverage of the election and let me tell you they were pretty much exactly the same. They both had McCain winning in the beginning until the more NE state polls came in and had Obama at a steady lead from then.

The ineptitude of American media, it's a great line. It can be used on every newspaper, station, corporation who was firmly planted in the back pocket of the democrats and Obama. The same can be said for the news stations and the like here in Australia and all over the world. Almost every news paper I see here is biased and any inkling of someone speaking out against our "precious" Kevin Rudd or the "messiah" Barack Obama and they get torn a new one left right and center.

Did you even watch Fox's coverage or just BBC's the whole time? From what it sounds like, you were being fed the same crap by them which you blame Fox for doing, except from the left.

Absolutely No Offense intended here, just MY opinion as that was yours :)