"4/13/07"

Harwood Butcher

Roughly 3 weeks ago there was a message written on a bathroom wall at my school that said or suggested that there was going to be a shooting Friday the thirteenth, tomorrow. I for one think it's total bullshit because I'd assume that someone looking to kill people wouldn't warn the people unless they wanted something and there were no demands. So today we were all called back to our homerooms for the last 20 minutes of the day to get handed a note that we're suppose to give to our parents that had the following on it.

Dear Parents:

I am writing to make you aware of a rumor that is circulating on our campus and to update you on what our investigation has determined about the veracity of the rumor.

Back in early march, a small group of students reported to the principle the presence of graffiti in one of the campus bathrooms. The message was vague, did not pose a specific threat, but it included "4/13/07" as part of the message.

Immediately, the high school administration and School Resource Officer *** ****** conducted an investigation. While we have been unsuccessful in identifying who wrote the message, we believe it to pose no credible threat, and is probably the work of someone looking to have school cancelled on a springtime Friday. Since then, there have been no other messages of this nature.

However, we take every message of this nature seriously and we have been working with Officer ****** and the ****** **** Police Department, and will follow their recommendations to ensure the safety of our students and staff.

As the time grows closer to April 13, students are coming to us with concerns about what they are hearing, and each re-telling of the story escalates. We hope they will continue to do so, especially if they know who is behind the writing of the original message.

Please know that our first priority is to keep all students and employees safe. We will continue our investigation into this and when we find out who is behind this, we will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

It is our intention to have a full day of school on Friday, April 13. We believe we have a safe school and a student body of which to be proud. We will continue to monitor this situation and will do whatever we need to do to keep our students and staff safe.

Even though students knew about this since the first day it was written, no one talked about it until today. There are many different opinions I heard today and at least half the people in each of my classes said that they weren’t going to show at school tomorrow because of this “threat”. The first time I heard this was from a student in one of my classes that said that there would be a shooting that day, tomorrow. He’s not know for spreading rumors which causes me to believe the school is hiding that “small detail” that there was clearly a gun threat on the school.

The message was vague, did not pose a specific threat, but it included "4/13/07" as part of the message.

This tells me that the date was just a portion of the message and that the gun threat was clearly in the message and that the school is hiding it so that the parents do not think that there will be a shooting, bombing or anything of the sort because our school wants to keep it's "image".

Anyways, I'd like to see what you guys think of this stupid prank.

that is bs they probably want school cancelled so they dont have to get up

Yeah, some people are sooo lazy. But yeah, i don't really see what could motivate someone to write a message of that nature, then not come clean whaen it escalated., unless they're a total douche. But i see why you're concerned.

Yeah, update 2morows, likelyhood is nothin will happen, sigh of releif, hit the books. :mellow:

that is bs they probably want school cancelled so they dont have to get up

Yeah, some people are sooo lazy. But yeah, i don't really see what could motivate someone to write a message of that nature, then not come clean whaen it escalated., unless they're a total douche. But i see why you're concerned.

Yeah, update 2morows, likelyhood is nothin will happen, sigh of releif, hit the books. :mellow:

I don't know why someone would turn himself or herself in; they'd get expelled and would go to juvenile hall.

I'd skip. Just to have a reason not to go to school, but people are crazy around here.

I was thinking about it...and my mom asked me if I wanted to stay home...but I already missed too many days. I skipped last Thursday...and the Tuesday before that...so I don't think it'd be a wise idea to skip tomorrow.

EDIT:...well wise in the sense of keeping up my grades...not the dieing part... :D

Edited by Original GTA Master

Hehe, should of thought about dying before skipping lmao. :P Jokes, even though it sounds like a prank. I agree with Sky and say I understand why you would be worried. This sorta reminds me of when me and my friend skipped last block yesterday and some guys were walking behind us (like grade 11 or so) and talking about either a shooting or a really huge fight. This is a direct quote taken from one of the guys: "Ok, so this is the plan; as soon as the first car gets there we'll f*** them up right away so they'll all be f***ed." Then something about it being like 300 because it's only 3 of them against a ton of people. I'm pretty sure it's just a fight but this topic made me think about Friday the 13th tomorrow so yeah. Maybe something is happening at my school too. Just be careful tomorrow I guess ;)

Edit: Those guys also said: "Maybe we should kill these kids in front of us so if anyone finds out they won't rat us out" We weren't worried cause we knew one of the guys and it was pretty funny.

Edited by Artur

Heh, that is a pretty good prank. Suck though if it's totally serious. Nothin happens like that at my school... I should do something like that at my school though, that doesn't maybe at the slightest pose a serious threat.

BTW if only 1-3 people don't come that day and aren't like the nerds and babies or if you know they're babies it probably is them that did the prank just tryin to get a day outa school, maybe.

Edited by Nate10

well speaking of school shootings i can remeber the Colombine Shootings and it scared me even though i was like only 6-7 and it still scares me and they even released a game about it and you went to school and shot as many people as you could and that game scares me , but still i would'nt take the chance kids are getting f***ed up minds these days and they do shit without relising it like the colombine they killed them selves after they did it and what was the reason behind it??... who knows

Something similar happened when I was in highschool. There were rumors floating around (and keep in mind this was only a few months after the Columbine incident) that there was going to be a shooting at my school. It even made the news. My mother (who wouldn't let us take the day off when my grandfather died) asked me if I wanted to stay home.

I told her hell no. My school is huge, so the odds are against them finding me, I think it's bunk, and besides that they better hope they kill me on the first shot.

Nothing happened. Half the school didn't show.