GTA IV In Game Advertising

K9 Krew

QUOTE "To extend the life cycle [of Grand Theft Auto IV]...to take that product to the next level, we also have exclusive episodic content that will be available.

In-game advertising is just another area that we think is very, very exciting to take advantage of the type of content that people own...and microtransactions...I'll talk a little about this...

It's not just about shipping one box and then waiting for a sequel, but keeping that product alive in the marketplace. There is a tremendous amount of research that shows that anything in terms of downloadable content increases the box sales. So we will take our biggest brand (GTA) and have episodic content available in the marketplace. It's a way we are approaching games to maximize our revenue as we look into the next cycle.

In-game advertising...we have a tremendous experience base from our sports business where it is a natural part of the gaming experience. Today, we announced a partnership with Double Fusion. Double Fusion brings to us added context with the agencies...with giving us scale with Madison Avenue. So, we think that this is a growing area...one that we will walk before we run...one that we have a lot of experience in the sports side, and then we will move that now to all of our other types of content."

If GTA IV gets in-game ads, then they will be ads for real companies, meaning that the series will take a step out of its traditional fictionalized style. Will it still stay partly fictionalized? We shall see.

So, to summarize what he just said, some future games made by the publisher will include in-game advertising...not just the sports titles. This seems to mean GTA. Did he say that the franchise will have it? No, but he hinted at it a few times. What will this mean? What do you think?

However, in-game ads for GTA IV are not confirmed...but I sure do believe it will happen. Take-Two's biggest upcoming title...imagine the revenue from ads sold...

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see why they would want to have in-game advertisments. Yeah, I know they get money from those, but everyone loves those commercials for Cluckin' Bell, Glory Hole Theme Park, and all that other crap we heard before they finally played that song we were waiting to be played. You can't say controversal/funny stuff about Pepsi.

Why the heck would you want to replace funny radio commercials about faked things or parodies of real things (Cluckin Bell is to KFC and Taco Bell, Sprunk is to Sprite and Exorbio is to the Game boy)

We should have commercials of completely random and stupid things as well parody commercials of things based off of real things. (I'd love to hear a radio commercial that would poke fun at the Wii and PS3 (for being so damn expensive) and more.

Also, they should have a newer Rusty Brown Ring Donut commericial (that commerical on VC is just too hilarious)

What I'm saying is...don't have real commercial of real objects but make parody commercials about objects similar to real objects.

And I want to see teaser sites too!

In game ads will make Gta 4 more realistic, remember how Rockstar said they were making a realistic game,

Ads i suppose is a step closer to realism, if they had like a incar view of like the steering wheel like Test Drive Unlimited that would make it extremelly better in my opinion!!

Ingame advertising doesn't just mean radio station commercials, it means product placement (Sprunk=Coke) and billboards and even adverts popping up.

I don't mind real adverts in moderation where the fake adverts currently are. In fact, I even installed a mod that turned the Sprunk machines and billboards into their Coca-Cola counterparts.

However I would have a problem if there were such things as popup adverts, and logos on loading screens etc. If they want to sprinkle our game with adverts, they can put them in where it is appropriate.

Ingame advertising doesn't just mean radio station commercials, it means product placement (Sprunk=Coke) and billboards and even adverts popping up.

I don't mind real adverts in moderation where the fake adverts currently are. In fact, I even installed a mod that turned the Sprunk machines and billboards into their Coca-Cola counterparts.

However I would have a problem if there were such things as popup adverts, and logos on loading screens etc. If they want to sprinkle our game with adverts, they can put them in where it is appropriate.

Yes I can see them place billboards of clothing or coke for an example but if they were to place advertising in loading screens that would suck

I definately won't buy a GTA game with in game advertising. I prefer the fake ads, they're much more funny.

You would refuse to buy the game JUST because it had real ads in it? Wow....

And by that statement, I'm pretty sure they meant billboards, radio adverts, etc. Not loading screens or anything like that.

And think about it this way, if they can make money off of selling the ad space, it could POSSIBLY lower the game price. You never know.

Slightly important point to consider

The game would almost certainly HAVE to be set in modern day if this is confirmed, you couldn't have the game set in for example, the 60's, because in game advertising would be stupid because the products/services would be totally irrelevant. Few related products existing then are still popular today. I mean they could have modern ads in an old setting, but it would be pretty retarded IMO.

So yeah, just a little detail we can more or less confirm in addition to the fact in game ads would be... we'll have to wait and see.

GTA isn't a serious game, that much we all (should) know. Joke ads make the radio stations great, and the random billboards in the street funny, if you make the game too realistic it looses it's innocent (bet JT would love the placement of this word) fun.