Should GTAIV have a tutorial?

Should GTAIV have a tutorial?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. We have all seen how the previous GTA games sort of "introduce" us to features in the game, so we have to jump through hoops before we can progress, but what if there was no tutorial - you were just plonked in the city to figure all out for yourself (controls in the manual)

• GTAIV should have a tutorial
    • GTAIV should not have a tutorial

It's always annoyed me, when replaying GTA games, that you have to "press ENT to get on bike", "ride here" "this button does this" "you can blah.....(insert forced cutscene you can't escape" especially on missions that you have to play a few times to complete - so, how would you feel if no tutorial existed in GTAIV? If you arrived in New York (obviously the storyline is all still there!) but there are no magical instructions from god telling you what to do and "press this" etc etc, we are just left to our own wits to firgure it out.

I think there should have some for the things you don't see at firts sight. I mean, for exemple, R* said stealing cars'll be harder, may be , you have to press a combination of keyz (buttons) to do so.

Still, controls are in the booklet...But I think there'll be, in the demo version tested 1 or 2 months ago by a UK reporter I think, said that when he went close to Niko's car a "Press RB to open trunk" warning.

Having a tutorial will mean less game time on the actual game and plus the X BOX cant store much so it wouldn't work if it was on the PS3 I wouldn't mind, but I think most people know how to play GTA and you can figure out new stuf by playing the game

^ fanboy much? <_<

I agree with sky, plus most GTA players sould know their way around a controller pretty good. It'd be nice to see a more dynamic system for it though, if it is included ( i think it should) It's be nice if the were little notes with arrows pointing to the subjects, but rendered in 3d, and stayed until you did what it advised or w/e. Say the boot opening thing, you have a little note thing above the trunk, and until you open/close it, the thingyy wouldn't dissapear. But u could turn them off in the options menu or someshit.

Did anybody mention that San Andreas was only around 3GB? Fits pretty well onto a DVD9, don't you think?

No tutorial. Just put all of the instructions into the instruction manual and very subtle hints during gameplay, that should stop appearing after a short amount of time.

EDIT: Besides, you learn faster if you jump right in.

And Oblivion was 6GB, and there is no way in hell will GTA 4 be bigger than Oblivion.

Edited by WnN2

Having a tutorial will mean less game time on the actual game and plus the X BOX cant store much so it wouldn't work if it was on the PS3 I wouldn't mind, but I think most people know how to play GTA and you can figure out new stuf by playing the game

Jesus CHRIST can you EVER post without bashing the 360?

You should be able to turn them off if you've seen them already.

You should be able to turn them off regardless of whether you've seen em!

Chris, yeah that'd suit me fine :D

Have you ever played those sorts of games that are still introducing features and "how to" bits like right till the end of the game? Condemned CO did that and boy does it ever piss me off, it's like being forced to use stabilisers on a bicycle when you're an adult, it's stupid!!

And if ANYONE mentions consoles again in my thread I will personally track you down and set fire to your house, it has nothing to do with the tutorials, this is an issue specific to the game, not consoles!

I think it's useful to newbies, and there's pretty much a 100% chance they'll include it. It's good when you first play it, but it gets annoying and repetitive after the first time. Hopefully there might be an option to turn it off.

in the godfather the game they had an opition i hope gta 4 will 2

Hmm...turning it on/off is a good option, but I still think it should be on by default. I mean, anyone can get the basic idea of GTA. One button to run. One to shoot, etc..

But if the information is correct, then we're gonna have to learn the new maneuvers. Besides, they are included in missions. What's wrong with that?

They could also have a tutorial that would be seperate from the actual game. Resident Evil Outbreak File #2 has that where you can play as David and learn how to do everything in a small scenerio before you start the game.

Good idea. I like the way it'd be a taster of the game to come to keep us all hyped before we gets to murder innocent peoplez! And i like the way it'd be an effective way to MAKE people NOT bitch about not knowing how to do something.

I don't like the way it's un-GTA, and it would make many (impatient) people impatient. I don't like the way either that it wouldn't tie in with the whole realistic theme that R8 are going for.

Overall, a balanced argument from me, but i'm afraid i'd veer towards keeping a more 'traditional' approach to a tutorial. Good thinking though.

You,re saying that it help newbies, but is there any ? I mean anyone who wanna play to GTA IV, have at least played SA or VC, no ? But still the nb'z'll be able to play withtout any tutorial :

Foot :

RT = Shoot

LT = Run

X = Jump

A = Action

Car :

RT = Accelerate

LT = Brake

B or A = Handbrake

....Is there anyother ?